Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Tachometer has stopped working

pbolden
pbolden Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
Hello Everyone,

Tachometer has stopped working on my SD217.  Is there an in-line fuse somewhere that I should check?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden
United States Coast Guard Aux, VFC, FSO-VE

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@pbolden.  I don't know your specific tachometer but you could have a couple of issues that you can isolate to determine the 'health' of your tach and these generic troubleshooting tips may help.

First, check the ground.  9 times out of 10 a bad ground gets in the way of things working on 12V systems.  Have you changed anything?   Even something as simple as corrosion on a battery post or putting the battery in for the spring and not tightening the connections is enough.

If you're not 100%, run another separate ground direct from the tach to the negative post on the battery (even a temporary one across the floor for troubleshooting to be sure)

If you're confident the ground is ok, next would be checking the power source.  There should be a ignition power that is connected to the tach.  First test would be cycling the ignition off/on.  Does the tach jump/move at all?  If so, you have ignition power.  If it doesn't, do the same process but this time use a volt meter to see if you get a reading when power cycling the ignition.

Next, check the tach signal.  If the tach isn't getting a signal from the engine it will not operate.  With the engine running, again use a voltmeter a measure the signal between the ground and signal terminals on the tach.  You should see something in the range of approx. 2V.

If these are both present (ignition and signal), you have a bum tach.

Let us know how this works out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • pbolden
    Thanks nquirk.  I will try these steps this weekend and report back Tuesday.

Thanks again.

Paul Bolden
  • pbolden
    UPDATE: Battery number two did have some corrosion on the neg. post and jumper cable. After cleaning and reconnecting it the fuel gauge is now working properly.  You were right about the effects of even a little corrosion unfortunately it did not correct the issue with the tachometer which is still not working.

This coming weekend I'll try your second set of recommendations.

Thanks,
    Paul Bolden
  • nquirk
    @pbolden, I'm glad you're making progress.  Keep us posted and hopefully you're successful isolating this tach issue.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • anchor1
    anchor1 Member Posts: 12
    It appears that the tach on my2002 201 gs fundeck has gone bad. Anyone know a replacement gage that will fit the dash?
  • nquirk

@anchor1.

You have a few options. 

First is contact your local Hurricane dealer and get a replacement.

Second is purchase a Faria brand replacement (that's the manufacturer of your existing tach and should connect up the exact same)  Here are some examples

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/cart_id.406299549--keywords.tachometer%20faria--session_id.101354109

Third, is measure the size in diameter of your tach and replace it with a generic tachometer available from most marina or marine supply shops.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • pbolden
    UPDATE 2:  Looks like the tach is bad.  I used my voltmeter over the weekend and got 12v off the ignition terminal and 6v off the signal terminal.

I forget to test the ground by running a cable directly from the tach to the battery but does it matter since I wouldn't have been able to get a voltmeter reading without connecting to the tach's ground terminal?

Thanks,
    Paul Bolden
  • pbolden
    UPDATE 3:  Installed new tach which seems to be working fine.  Still having problem with fuel gauge.  Please see new post with same title.

Thanks All,

Paul Bolden
  • nquirk
    @pbolden.  Glad you got the tach sorted out.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB