Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Replacing electric bilge pump "float" switch

DONQ
DONQ Member Posts: 5
Replacing my original electric float switch for the bilge. 
Bought a new one, went to remove the old....saw that it (and the bilge pump) are mounted on a type of thin metal bracket. It is very hard to see and even harder to reach. Can someone tell me if this switch is typically mounted with philips head screws? When I first put a philips head screwdriver on it, it doesn't seem to seat properly, so before stripping something out, I thought that I'd ask.  Could it be a rivet or a square head ?  Any help out there ?

Comments

• donmat
    donmat Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Are you sure your float switch is bad. My pump wouldn't work in auto and i found the inline fuse located on the wire to the battery was bad. Changed it and everything is OK.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

DONQ, I also had the same issue with my float switch on my bilge pump that donmat had mentioned.

However, I checked the bracket on mine, and they're using a large Philips head screw to mount the bracket/plate into the bilge.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • rgforrester
    rgforrester Member Posts: 7
    Don,

When working in the aft section, below deck, I found it made life a lot easier by installing a 9x12 hatch.  Then, I was able to use both hands.  Defender has them for about $30 bucks.

...2001 GS201 with Yamaha 115 OB
    2001 GS201 Yamaha 115 OB (4 stroke)