Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

tubbing questions

melisazack
melisazack Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

we have a 2001 sundeck hurricane- my son just got a 2 person tube.. we have a ski bar in the back, but no where else to tie the tube onto.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Get yourself a "Y" harness and a Booster ball and tow from the stern cleats.  If you look at the pole there is a warning label there (or there used to be), which warns against towing tubes from the ski pole.  The problem is that the pole will not withstand the force if the tub submarines.  My dealer told me that he replaces 3 or 4 bent ski poles every year from people towing tubes from them on a variety of different model boats.

The Booster ball will keep the rope out of the wake, so the riders are not constantly sprayed by water. 

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Ernest T 110%.  I have the exact same setup (tube/booster ball/harness) as he does and as he mentioned the ball reduces rope drag and spray and the harness is the safe way to do this, not from the ski pole.

On larger tubes, if you submarine a tube, you can not only damage the pole, but essentially snap it off and have a projectile launched back towards the tube/passengers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • ss188rider
    ss188rider Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I also agree with Ernest T.  I too bought the harness and a Booster ball to pull tubes.  Before the booster ball, the tube always stayed behind the boat.  After the booster ball, I was able to whip the tube to the either side of the boat.  Also it kept riders from getting sprayed by water constantly.
  • redngreedy
    redngreedy Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited July 2013
    What I find funny is the ski pole warns against pulling a tube.

Look at the pictures they post though...

Clearly towing with the pole on the 2nd and 3rd pics.

• nquirk
    @redngreedy, Nice catch and it is definitely not a safe way to pull a tube
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

This topic peaked my interest and while doing some internet research I came across several suggestions that while the harness is highly recommended, it should not be connected to cleats, but to the stern eyes on the transom.  The explanation is that the cleats were not designed for this purpose, and the stern eyes are attached with larger screws and better able to withstand the stress.  This line of thinking makes sense to me.  Just curious it you guys thought about using the stern eyes, and if you have, why you prefer the cleats?  Thanks.

2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • nquirk

I use the stern eyes, and I think in re-reading this post that others are using the same.  I think some folks use the terms stern eye and stern cleats interchangeably.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @redngreedy... excellent catch on the pics. They are coming off the website now. Geez... you leave those darn photographers alone for five minutes....
  • melisazack

excuse my dumb question here since boating is new to me.... these eye hooks are actually below the water line or right even with it off the back if I am looking at my boat right.  I don't see any up high.

• redngreedy
    Would it be possible to find out from Hurricane if the rear cleats are reinforced?  
  • redngreedy

excuse my dumb question here since boating is new to me.... these eye hooks are actually below the water line or right even with it off the back if I am looking at my boat right.  I don't see any up high.

The lower "hooks" I think you're talking about are used to strap the boat to the trailer, correct?

The cleats mentioned above would be used for docking and or dock fenders.
  • melisazack

The lower "hooks" I think you're talking about are used to strap the boat to the trailer, correct?

The cleats mentioned above would be used for docking and or dock fenders.

so they would be more on the side?
  • nquirk

@redngreedy, what you've circled is mooring cleats.  And as you've mentioned, they're for docking and dock fenders.  NEVER tow from those. 

The stern eyes are what you'd use to strap to your trailer and are what you'd use to attach the harness for tubing.

@melisazack, these will be above the water line.  If you look at the picture redngreedy posted, you'll see it in the picture above the top rung of the ladder.  What he's circled are the cleats.

These stern eyes are reinforced at the back with metal plate.  (as shown below)

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • melisazack

@nquirk --  Yes that is the spot I was referring to.. thank you!

so there might be one on both sides of the boat and use a Y tow rope to go around motor.