Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Smart Tabs SX on SS 201 OB

redngreedy
redngreedy Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
Got these installed tonight.  I sat there after getting everything lined up wondering, "should I really drill these holes?"  After a 10 minute cool down I went with it.  The install itself is easy.  The hardest part for me was getting the tabs lined up to match each other.  This brings me to a question too.  After going with a few different measure points I realized my motor is off center 3/4".  Is there a tolerance for off center, or are the motors supposed to be dead nuts?

Another thing I noticed was the left one seems to be hanging a tad bit lower (not the mount itself).  If this is correct, will it affect performance?  It looks like I could move one hole on the adjustment and it line up better (I ran out of daylight to try).

Overall, how does it look?  Don't mind the 9 p.m. pics lol

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@redngreedy, these look fantastic.

As for your engine being off center, It certainly isn't the intent.  Have you measured to the transom holes it is mounted to?   I'll try to measure mine this weekend if I think of it and see if it is similar.

I can't imagine it should be anything but centered, however I also wouldn't suspect a 3/4" variance would have that much of an impact.  (But this I'll defer to the Engineering Dept at Hurricane to advise)

When you're engine is trimmed down and straight, does the front of the lower unit and/or skeg align with the keel of the boat?

Eyeballing it from your pics, they look pretty close to even on both sides to me

Too bad you're in North Carolina and I'm in Ontario or I'd be asking you to install mine :D 

Fantastic Job

^:)^
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • redngreedy
    Thanks nquirk!

When I give it a bath either tomorrow or Friday I'll see if the keel aligns with the skeg.  After using the drain hole for a measuring reference and then using motors mounting I seen that something is off.  Either one of three things.  1) The motor itself, 2) the drain hole is not center (I would think it would be), 3) My measuring  :))

I'd be glad to help if you were local, it's too cold up there!  Our current NC Operations Manager is from Ontario.  
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@redngreedy.... keep us posted.

It's only cold up here in the winter which I believe starts next month and carries through to April

=))
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Capt_Steve
    Capt_Steve Member Posts: 416 admin
    @redngreedy ... Hurricane doesn't test these boats with tab systems to my knowledge.
  • redngreedy
    Headed to the lake here in a few. I'll give an update when I'm on the water.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    The tab install looks great to me.  I noticed that one of my tabs sits just slightly lower than the other, but it hasn't made any noticeable difference in performance.  When you take the boat out do a high speed run and compare the rpm numbers and top speed with what you were getting without the tabs.  If you notice a drop in top speed, then adjust the tabs a little and try again.  It took me a couple of adjustments to get them just right. 

Where are you in NC?  I spend most of my time on Lake Norman...........in fact just getting ready to head down there now.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • redngreedy
    It looks as if I lost a bit of top end, I'm guessing 2-5 mph.

Holy cow what a different boat. The bow rise is completely gone. The low speed wander is greatly reduced to almost nothing. Tubing with kids is a whole lot better due to planing being a lot sooner.

These boats should come stock with these tabs.

Best of all, the bilge pump didn't come on!

Ernest, I'm in Fayetteville and we boat Harris and Jordan so far. Looking forward to getting on some bigger water, hopefully next year.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the installation was a success.  The tabs do make it a different boat.

I've boated Lake Jordan 1 time.  It was nice. 

I'm hoping to get on the intercostal waterway next year.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner