Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

198R - What prop?

jason6599
jason6599 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭

I am running a three blade 13 1/4 x 15 pitch variable with some cup. My yamaha 115 four stroke runs 5400rpm WOT. The prop cavitates on turns and getting up on plane. I add smart tabs which helps out a lot. Who's running a four blade? What size and what pitch?

Thx. 

Comments

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

That 115 Yamaha is rated at 5000-6000 rpm, but at 5400 it is probably down 30hp from the max rating. It sounds to me like you need less pitch to achieve 6000 rpm at WOT with the boat light. A dealer can help you calculate the requirement but in the end you will need to test it. IMHO a 1 inch drop to 13 1/4 x 14 would be a good guess. If you go to a 4blade you will need to drop another inch. I went that route and love it even though I lost 4mph top speed. The cavitation issue might be a separate matter, but first you need to get the engine up to max power. There are several threads in the forum dealing with your issues if you search props, tabs, cavitation, etc. And remember, jason6599, a boat is a hole in the water that we pour money into. Good luck!