Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Multiple problems on new to me 1991 FD196 Fish and Fun with Yamaha V4 130

dward0
dward0 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭

Already ran a can of Sea Foam through, changed the plugs and cleaned out the on motor fuel filter element. Does not appear to have an external fuel/water separator. Gas is fresh with Stabil Marine added.

Still has the following behaviors:

1.  Rough idle, eventually stalls. 

2.  Bogs down and sometimes stalls when coming out of the hole.  Will usually hit 5000 RPM briefly, then back down to around 3500.  Best described as sluggish except for one day when I went end to end at 5500 RPM.

3. Inconsistent oil use.  First 60 gallons of gas only used a couple quarts of oil, then I burned 2 quarts in a Saturday.  Because of the sluggishness, I have been "sightseeing" primarily at low RPM.  No oil warnings of any kind and blue smoke on startup.  Oil resovoir does not appear to have any water in it.

4. Terrible fuel economy.  Not pulling any skiiers or anything, just tooling around the lake with my girl on the weekends and went through about 100 gallons of fuel this season. $$$

5. Primer bulb does not remain firm.

6. Speedo does not work.  Already cleaned out the little hole on the lower unit.

7. Neither of two fuel gages works (needle goes from empty to full when I turn on the key)

8. Takes on water every time out.  I tightened the drain plug, don't see any cracks in the hull and still get gallons of water in the bilge.  Deck drains seem to work properly.

I have a new filter element on order, as well as a new prop (the old one is dinged up).  Thinking I will replace the drain plug and run another can of Sea Foam through it too.  Any suggestions and links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

1991 Fundeck FD196 Fish and Fun
1990 Yamaha 130 2 stroke

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

Two things I'd check regarding the engine.  I'm not familiar with that particular engine having a carburetor, I suspect you're having some carb issues.  That explains the poor idle and stalling.  Could be bad float, etc.  You may need them looked at.

On the oil consumption, etc.  Are you getting blue smoking when running it?  Have you had the compression on the cylinders checked?  Start there.  You may have bad compression/bad rings. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • dward0

Thanks nquirk,

I have not had the compression checked, but I only see the smoke when I first start it up with the choke on.

It has dual carbs, so nothing I want to mess with myself.

1990 Yamaha 130 2 stroke

• dward0

1990 Yamaha 130 2 stroke

• dward0
    A new fuel pump and a can of carb cleaner took care of the idle and stall issues and primer bulb stays rock hard now. Thanks!
    1990 Yamaha 130 2 stroke

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    With your post I just saw this thread and glad things worked out.  I had a similar experience when I bought by SD217 used.  The Johnson 150 sputtered, but the mechanic said that before I brought it to him to shock it with a double dose of Seafoam and run WOT.  That did the trick.  Now I always use Seafoam and make sure to run it WOT for a few minutes each time we are out to keep carbs clean.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB