Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SS 231 Anchor Locker

nelson0584
nelson0584 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I am a brand new owner of a 2015 SS231.  I seem to be having a mental hang up on the anchor locker.  The area is huge.  So I'm just supposed to lower the anchor down into it and let it slide around?  I'm concerned it it might damage the boat, with the repeated bouncing.  Then there's the issue of the hoses and wires it could get hooked on?   Am I not giving the boat enough credit for toughness? 

Thanks

Joe
2015 SS 231
Yamaha 250

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @nelson0584 drop the anchor in a few feet and then tie it off on the cleat inside the anchor compartment (it should have one, and if not, I'd add one) so it won't slide around or down towards the back.  In the bilge area, there is nothing to hook up on in the front area.

Hope that helps and congratulations on your new boat.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nelson0584
    nelson0584 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    @nquirk I definitely like that idea, I will be adding a cleat for that.  That will keep the anchor reachable and out of the hoses and wires.  I am debating trying to build a box in there to keep the anchor for repeatedly beating the boat in the same place.   Maybe the repeated bouncing won't hurt the boat at all, but I plan on having this boat a long time and don't want to cause any damage on something that a little foresight could have prevented.  Thanks for the tip on the cleat.
    Joe
    2015 SS 231
    Yamaha 250
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    No problem.  In fact my SS188 had the cleat there, I didn't add it and wasn't sure if your model did/didn't.  My boat is now 5 years old and I've had no issues with it being tied off and in the front of the hull damage wise.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Should have a cleat in there, my 2015 203 has one.
  • BAR42
    BAR42 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    There are two clips on the side of the locker... meant to clip & hold the round bar of a traditional Navy anchor.  Since I don't care for that style of anchor I'm planning to find another style that will fit within the locker hole and find a suitable round metal bar to slid through the eyelet of the anchor and into the clips.  The bar will need to be ~18" if I'm remembering correctly.  Hence the anchor will be safely held in a suspended manner.