Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Paint on Aluminum is Bubbling

The paint on the aluminum hatch frames on my 2012 SD2200 is bubbling.  I know the cause, but rather than repaint and wait for it to happen again, is there a plastic framed hatch that will work?  I'm looking for the manufacturer's name.

Answers

• lin174den
    lin174den Member Posts: 4
    Thought I would update the forum on my hatch frame(s) problem.  After getting no help from my local dealer and no help from Hurricane (note this is the third time I have called Hurricane for service help and this third time I did not receive a return call as promised), I decided to have the frames re-powder coated.  Without knowing who the manufacturer of the hatch is, there's no way to find the right frames aftermarket.  
    I don't know what your overall experience has been with Hurricane service, but I am not impressed.  The boat market is very competitive.  It seems taking good care of existing customers would be one way to keep the brand strong.  
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already sent the frames to be re-coated, could you post some pictures of what is happening.  Is it one frame or more?

I'm curious, you said the dealer was no help, what did the dealer actually say?  Did he say there was nothing he could do about the situation or did he not call you back?

Three calls to Hurricane and no response shouldn't be happening either.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• lin174den

The frames are out for coating, but here is a picture taken before I sent them out.   Three frames are bubbling and the coating is flaking off.   The doors (made of Starboard HDPE) are fine, and for that reason I wanted to replace the frames only.  Without knowing the name of the frame manufacturer, I can't source them.
  • cjjjdeck
    Thanks for posting the picture.  I understand why you want to get this resolved.  I apologize, as I should have asked you if you are the original owner or if you bought the boat used.  Since the boat isn't that old I assumed you might be the original owner.  

As long as the powder coater preps the frames properly (which looks like what might have been the problem to begin with; poor prep), that coating technology should hold up quite well.  Are you in a fresh or salt water environment?

• lin174den
    I am not the original owner - bought it with 25 hours on it.  I did discuss prep with the powder coater and he assured me he knew what to do to prevent the problem from coming back.  He also mentioned poor/inadequate prep of the frame could cause the bubbling.  Thanks for participating in the dialog - much appreciated.
  • cjjjdeck
    Wow, nice low hours!  

Unfortunately, warranty for any boat goes with the original owner.  As an FYI, it's been my experience that Hurricane does listen and often responds to unusual out-of-warranty issues to original owners.  However, the motor/drive warranty usually does transfer to the subsequent owner.  Check your manufacturers website for their warranty statement.  Best of luck with the boat.  

Post some pictures of the frames when they get done and post some pics of the boat in nquirk's "Love your boat, then show it off!" thread!