Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New potential owner

Options
Hi everyone, I am new to the site and will have many questions for the Hurricane owners.
my wife and I are looking at the sun deck 2400 I/O  or the outboard not sure about performance on either. Can anyone  help with there input please?
thank you ,
Tom

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum and becoming a potential Hurricane Owner!  You will find that pretty much all the Hurricane owners love and keep their boats, usually for a long time.  The SD2400 series is a sweet boat to consider.

There's a lot to be said on the subject of I/O verses outboard, much of it personal preference and opinion.  The body/bodies of water and how you intend to use the boat can have an impact on your decision as well (most salt water Hurricane owners prefer outboards).  I'll copy a previous post I made on this subject to get the ball rolling for you.

"I have owned both outboard and I/O powered boats and I can honestly say I don’t have an overly strong opinion of one over the other as far as performance goes.  I can tell you what I like about my current I/O configuration and I’ll share some thoughts.

1) The full length swim platform, absolutely great for fishing, watersports and ingress/egress to the boat

2) Having better access to “things” and systems mounted below deck (like bilge pump, sonar transducer, fresh water and gas tanks, batteries etc.)

3) Access to engine components while on the water without “dropping things” into the water (I know, that NEVER happens to anyone but me!)

4) Option to have a dual prop drive (great for hole shot, lower plane speed, trolling/docking, high speed handling and performance, pulling water toys)

5) Usually quieter engine noise level as long as you don’t have the exhaust thru-the-hull option (although I’ve heard some very quiet outboards too).

6) Engine and drive are supported by hull stringers, not the transom, which distributes the weight and torque forces differently than an outboard hanging on the transom.

7) I/O's usually offer higher horsepower motor options vs. outboard

Outboards also have some advantage when it comes to how far the motor and drive can come out of the water.  This is a really good benefit when boating in shallower areas; you can actually “see” where the drive location is.  The full swim platform can somewhat “hide” the drive position on an I/O (unless you boat in clear waters).  Also, the outboard can completely come out of the water where as the I/O remains submerged.

The outboard is absolutely easier to service, especially when it's out of the water and it has less items to service when it comes to winterization."

Hope this helps!  Keep asking questions!

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• MNDaveC
    MNDaveC Member Posts: 24
    Options
    New outboards typical get considerably better fuel economy than I/o.