Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Clean and polish boat striping

DavidPJ
DavidPJ Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
I've a difficult time cleaning the oxidation from my GS-201 vinyl striping on only one side of the boat. I'm guessing this side gets more sun than the other side. I've tried several chemicals and polishes that have helped but I still cannot return the stripe to it's original depth of color or shine. It always looks a little hazy or flat. Any suggestions? Thanks.
1999 Fundeck GS-201, Teal, Honda 200HP

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    First off, I've not had to do this yet and haven't tried anything myself (there's my disclaimer).

It's UV that is your enemy with vinyl and gelcoat.  The answer will depend on how badly oxidized the graphics are.  If it's not oxidized too bad, then sometimes just using something like 303 Marine & Recreation Speed Detailer will bring it up and more importantly will add UV protection.    Meguiar's #57 Marine/RV Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner also has UV inhibitors.

If the oxidation is really bad, I found this thread on an RV forum where a member posted a process he had success with:

http://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26466645

For members with non-oxidized decals, I would recommend using a UV protectant on them at least a couple of times a season and your graphics will keep looking new longer.  I use 303 Marine & Recreation Aerospace Protectant.  In fact, outboard owners should spray this on all exposed hoses and rubber parts to protect and add longevity to them.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• DavidPJ
    cjjdeck, thank you so much for the info and especially the RV link. I'm going to give the 3M Cleaner and Wax a try before I resort to wet sanding. One of the products I used that helped was Starbrite Vinyl Cleaner and Polish. I use this on the boat's seats and really like it.

I also use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the vinyl and rubber surfaces.
  • cjjjdeck
    Just saw this product that I had't heard of before.  Found it reading another boating forum with a bunch of satisfied users commenting on it.  It says it works on fiberglass, painted metal, rubber and vinyl lettering/graphics.  Might also be worth a look.

http://www.poliglow-int.com/

• dizneyman
    dizneyman Member Posts: 11
    I have used INOX products on my boats since 1980.  They have a product called Lanox that is great for decals, striping, etc.  
    http://www.inoxmx.com

• DavidPJ
    DavidPJ said:
    cjjdeck, thank you so much for the info and especially the RV link. I'm going to give the 3M Cleaner and Wax a try before I resort to wet sanding. One of the products I used that helped was Starbrite Vinyl Cleaner and Polish. I use this on the boat's seats and really like it.

I also use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the vinyl and rubber surfaces.
    As follow-up, I used the 3M Cleaner and Wax and it worked great on the decals. It completely removed the oxidation and made them look like new. I applied the cleaner/wax by hand. After trying several products I thought nothing would work so I was shocked to see the decals clean up so well. Thanks again cjjdeck!
  • cjjjdeck
    Thanks for the followup David!  That's great news for you and helpful for the rest of us!