Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

weird churning noise

1pointofview
1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
figured I would finally ask because i have dealt with it for a bit. Sometimes when the boat is getting bogged down I hear an odd churning noise from the propeller.  Happens sometimes when I am pulling a tube or when boat is loaded. The RPM seems to be around the same spot (normally 4500-5000rpm when I hear it most) but we just seem like we are not getting enough surface speed, no matter how much I try and get more speed by finding calmer water or try and stay a straight course in order to get forward momentum.

I have tried backing down the rpms and then ramping up or adjusting trim down/up.  Seems like once I get the churn noise starts, I have to throttle all the way down and start off again.  Anyone deal with anything similar?
2013 Hurricane SS188
115 Yam
Magic Tilt Trailer
Hotty Toddy

Comments

• dward0
    dward0 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Checked prop for damage?
    1991 Fundeck FD196 Fish and Fun
    1990 Yamaha 130 2 stroke

• 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    no damage.  I took the boat out last week and never had it happen again. I think it has to do with drag due to how many people are on the boat.  I went out last week with only 3 additional people and we never had any issue.  Last few times, I had a total of 9 people.  7 on the boat, pulling 2 on a tube.  I think I may need a different prop that will handle the load a little better. 
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like if you are going to be pulling loads like you describe often, then you are on the right track.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer