Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Removing old Gas from my Hurricane 228R?

slave3
slave3 Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone, I have not been able to use my Hurricane for the past 4 years (3 Kids going in different directions and 2 in college, working multiple jobs, etc.). So, our deck boat has been sitting in the garage (never below 32 degrees F and the gas in it is 4 years old. Does anyone know the best way to remove the gas from the tank so I can refill with a fresh tank?

Thanks a million ...... Happy Boating

my email is at deanroth1957@gmail.com

Comments

• rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    Most marine engine dealers have systems that can do that for you safely. If not then do it this way: I removed the sending unit (on my boat it is located behind and below a 6 inch inspection port in the porta-potti well. buy or borrow a hand siphon pump ( Advanced Auto sells a good one) and push a length of 3/8" copper tubing into the suction hose. You will of course need some containers to pump into. The process takes a while but will strip nearly all of the fuel out (I know this from personal experience). You could also rig this to the fuel suction line in place of the primer bulb but this technique will leave more fuel in the tank by nature of the design of the pickup tube, etc.
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • chopperguy
    chopperguy Member Posts: 3
    Best access place is through the fuel sending unit.  Remove it and then you have direct access to the tank.  I pumped mine with a shurflo diaphragm pump you can buy online, harbor freight or grainger.  Tubing for it you can get from home cheapo.  I was able to suck mine completely out and burned the old gas in my truck.
  • fishhunter
    fishhunter Member Posts: 4
    I purchased something from Home Depot called a wonder pump.  It has a a 6' clear hose connected to a valve. You just stick the hose in the tank and shake it a few times and it pumps like magic lol. I routed mine through the drain plug whole up to the fuel tank and entered through the gas sender unit. It drained my tank in less than 10 min. Take all safety precautions.