Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SD 2486 - How to un-winterize the head

mrobertsonsr
mrobertsonsr Member Posts: 7
Just bought a beautiful 2016 SD 2486 from a private party. The head needs to be "un-winterized" before use. Have no owners manual. Need help and instruction on what needs to be done. Will someone lend a helping hand please? Thank you

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Winterizing the head system is pumping all the waste out of the system, flushing with water and draining that, then adding RV water system anti-freeze into the holding tank.  Some owner's also flush some "Head Lube" into the system to keep the seals properly lubricated.  To "de or un-winterize" the system, you need to pump out what is in the holding tank, flush with some fresh water if you prefer, then you should be ready for the season.  Just an FYI, the SD 2486  has a 13 gallon waste water tank.capacity for the head.

I don't want to assume, but don't forget to flush out your fresh water tank as it probably was winterized with the RV anti-freeze.  Just keep running fresh water into the system until the "pink" color is gone.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• mrobertsonsr
    That's very helpful. Thank you!
    On that same note... When winterizing, are there any hoses to/from the head that need to be disconnected as part of the process too? I can't seem to find a Hurricane SD 2486 owners manual so feel like I'm swinging in the wind on a number of things  : /
    Again, appriciate your help!
  • cjjjdeck
    First off, regarding a owners manual, there isn't any for any specific Hurricane boat or model.  The only manual that is given owners is the one that is available for download on this forum, look at the top listings and you see the subject "Download the Hurricane Owners Manual here").   That manual will not give you information on your head system, just general boating information.   Since most of the systems and components on a boat are provided by marine suppliers, it's best to find out what the make and model of the system or component is and get information directly from the manufacturer.   This forum is a good source in finding out who made what on your boat and how to get replacement parts.  Hurricane keeps parts inventory on boats approximately 10 years old or newer.

Regarding wintering water based systems, pour the RV Anti-freeze (BTW, DO NOT use automotive anti-freeze as the RV anti-freeze is non-toxic and is designed to be used in fresh water systems, not "cooling" systems) into any area fresh water can run, head/waste water holding tanks, fresh water tanks, deck drains, baitwell drains, sinks etc.  When you service drains, just pour it in until you see it exit from the drain fitting, that guarantees anti-freeze displaced any standing water (low spots) in the drain hose.  With the use of the RV antifreeze, you should not have to disconnect any hoses.  Reverse the procedure replacing anti-freeze with fresh water. 

Regarding fresh water holding tanks, I do not use the fresh water on board for drinking/cooking purposes as I have no idea how long water will sit or be used.  I primarily use it to wash with or wash things down.  To keep the water free from things growing in it here's a method I use:

To treat water for storage, use simple liquid household chlorine bleach (it usually contains 5.25 percent sodium hypochlorite). Do not use bleach with soaps or scents added.
    1/4 teaspoon bleach, per gallon 
    For my 13 gallon tank I use 3 1/4 teaspoons of bleach.  I also use a 5 gallon jug for fresh water only to refill the fresh water tank and pre-mix the 5 gallons using 1 1/4 teaspoons of bleach, then I just pour that in the tank.

This procedure has kept my tank fresh and clean.

• mrobertsonsr

This info is all very helpful! Thanks so much!! 

As this is new to me, please forgive some elementary questions… The previous boat owner shared with me that the best way to empty the holding tank is to have it pumped out at the marina while there getting gas. Once the system is up and running, and has been used, that makes perfect sense. But before the system has been used and is still winterized (like mine is now) do I fill the water system using the hose at the marina, run everything and flush everything, and then ask them to pump out the holding tank? Then once that's done, fill the fresh water system with the marina hose and treat the water as described above? Is there a simple way to do all of this myself without taking the boat to a marina or service center? 

And then when it's time to winterize again next fall, should I go to a marina, have them pump out the holding tank and then pour the RV antifreeze into the system at the water fill spout? Also pour into the sinks and into the toilet and then run the system until there's RV antifreeze in the holding tank? What, continue until there’s a couple of gallons of antifreeze in the holding tank? Leave there until opening the next year?

Again, thanks to everyone. This is a very helpful resource! 

• cjjjdeck
    Emptying the tank should pretty much always be done at a pump out station.  Usually a pump out station will also have fresh water which you can flush through the system.  Just bear in mind, most often the tank doesn't get completely emptied and will have some residual amount in it.  Pump out completely when season starts to drain the anti-freeze mixture, pump out during the season as necessary, pump out at end of the season, flush some additional water through to get as much of the waste out, then add the antifreeze to the tank.

Most of your other drains go out through a fitting in the side of the boat, not a holding tank (sinks, deck drains, baitwells etc.).  Have someone watch the drain fitting until they see the pick anti-freeze pour out.  Leave it in while being stored, flush out with fresh water when the new season starts.

• mrobertsonsr
    Perfect. That's just what I needed to know! Thanks for your help/answers cjjdeck. Very much appreciated! 
    On a different topic, I have one more thing I'm working through right now. How to put the front/bow cushions and support assembly together.  Have looked on line for a diagram but have come up empty. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again!
  • cjjjdeck
    If you're talking about installing the sun pad cushions to the bow area, it should have support poles that need to be installed first, then the cushions lay on top of them.
    Here's a link to a thread from this forum that might help if this is what you're talking about:
    https://hurricaneboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/1517/bow-fill-cushion-instructions#latest

• mrobertsonsr
    Again, thank you. Yes, the front bow cushion assembly is what I'm trying to figure out. I'd seen that thread too but the 2486 setup is somewhat different. It uses 4 poles?, 2 support pieces and 3 cushions and goes together differently somehow. Oh well, one of my 8 year old grandkids will probably figure it out for me in about 10 seconds... yikes! 
    Thanks so much!
  • cjjjdeck
    Maybe you can post pictures of how you figured out how to install it for others?

• mrobertsonsr
    Ok, that’s a good idea. Will do.