Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Does anyone know where to buy front bimini cover for SS 188? Want more shade then the standard cover

wkramer
wkramer Member Posts: 1

I would like to add a 2nd bimini to my SS188 do increase shaded area. It gets very hot in Florida and additional shaded area would improve our boating time.

thks, bill

Answers

• fldanny
    fldanny Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I have same boat. Id love to hear and see any response or feedback if you get one.
  • jbkenn331
    jbkenn331 Member Posts: 7

I purchased a 2014 SS 188 OB in October.  I haven't taken possession yet but I noticed some things in the videos about the 2014 that are different from the 2013 model  (my purchase was based in large part by what I saw on the 2013 model).  First of all, the '14 is heavier by 300 pounds.  That's a pretty significant addition.  I powered it with the 150 e-tec but now I'm wondering if that will under-power it given the boat's heavier weight.  Also, I noticed that the bimini top and frame are different.  The frame looks like a wakeboard tower and the canvas appears much smaller than the canvas on the 2013 model.  It might be too late to get the frame and canvas I like (I'd prefer the 2013 version), but, am I right, is the canvas smaller and is the frame collapsible or is it a permanent structure?  Incidentally, the 2014 was on display at the Atlantic City boat show Feb. 5-9 and that boat had the earlier top.  Does that mean that the style of bimini is optional?

(I realize there are 2 separate topics in this post; hope you don't mind.)

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014

@jbkenn331.  The 150 is plenty of power for the SS188.  You'll be more than fine.  Many power them with 115, which in my opinion is undersized but to me, 150 is the sweet spot.

As for the bimini tops, I know the new one you refer to is available, but not sure if its optional.  Contact your selling dealer, they'll know what bimini was ordered on the boat and can confirm if possible to switch to the 2013 model.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • JOSHDOLPHINS1
    JOSHDOLPHINS1 Member Posts: 15
    I have the 2013 188 0b with the Evinrude 150. Engine is great blows away the 115. I saw the new 2014 and hated the front and changes to the instrument panel. Just my opinion I would stick with the 2013
  • vvanryn@gmail.com
    vvanryn@gmail.com Member Posts: 1
    I believe it's called a fly. I have been searching the web and can't find one.