Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SS 203 Water in the Ski Locker

Options
trubedor
trubedor Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
At first I thought it was rain, but when I put my boat back in the water today, water comes in to the ski locker from the drain.  I know its coming from the drain because its salt water (I tasted it) and it hasn't rained for days and was dry when it went in.  I'm not sure how the through hull fittings work, but I would imagine there is some sort of one way float valve behind them to prevent water from flowing into the boat?  Do I have a bigger problem here? I can vacuum the water out with a shop vac, but it keeps coming back.  HELP

Comments

• trubedor
    Options
    Ok. Well I vacuumed out the locker this morning and water began bubbling up through the drain.  It drained while under way, but returned when I moored the boat and the thru hulls went back below the water line.
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    @trubedor, I'd check the out the outlet on your scupper as it may be a source of water coming in when your boat is moored.

On my 188 its on the starboard side.  Looks something like this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • trubedor
    Options
    Thanks.  Is that flap supposed to stop any water coming in?  Doesn't seem too highly engineered...its a flap so if a barnacle takes up home on the through hull it would be prevented from closing..
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, the design of a scupper is to remove water from the boat, not allow it back in.  If its operating correctly, it should drain only.  You can check for blockage at the flap and/or trace this hose back to see if this may be your source of water.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer