Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

New to Boating...w/ a new 2013 SD 2200 DC OB

Options
dolfan1967
dolfan1967 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

Labor Day weekend my wife Jo and I purchased a 2013 SD 2200 DC OB (Yamaha 150 hp). Yesterday makes six days (12.5 hrs) on the Potomac waters. We have been doing a VA online course, reading forums and doing our own 'trial and error'.  I have three questions (for now) that are at the top of my list for knowledge about our new lifestyle...I truly am thankful for your experience, time and effort in your answers.

I have been keeping the RMPs under 5000, speedo says 35 mph w/ trim experimenting...

1) Is there a good/set 'break-in hrs' period for the engine?

2) What is the max RPM  I and the engine can do can do?

3) If cruising longer than an hour, what is a good RPM to travel at?

2013 SD 2200 DC
Yamaha 150 four-stroke
Lowrance Elite-4 HDI
Bow Cushion
WindStorm trailering cover (tailored for bimini frame)
Venture Tandem Bunk Trailer

Comments

• wahooboater
    wahooboater Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't know about your outboard motor,but the inboards have a 10 hour break in and then require a service check. That's what my dealer told me. I have a 2014 188ss IO . I think your outboard is probably 20 hours. As far as rpm's I would say hang out at about 3000-3500. I also think yours has a rev limit of about 5000 RPM. This is all just a some what educated guess. Congrats on your new boat!
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's what I found on 2013 Yamaha Outboards:

What is the 10-hour break-in service?
    When an outboard engine is run under load for the first time, mating surfaces of moving parts will generate wear patterns. Due to these wear patterns there can be excess metallic debris in engine oil (four-stroke) and gear lube. Also vibration from running may loosen torque on bolts. So the 10-hour break-in service is the changing of engine oil (four-strokes only), gear lube, verification of proper torque, a general visual inspection of the engine and testing of the engine to ensure it is still operating correctly. All new Yamaha Outboards should have this required service. The cost of this service is not covered under the Yamaha limited warranty.

FOUR STROKE OUTBOARDS
    Interval Procedure
    1st Hour Operate the engine at varying speeds up to 2000 rpms or approximately 1/2 throttle.
    2nd Hour Increase the engine speed until the boat is on plane (but avoid full throttle operaton) and then back off on the throttle while keeping the boat at a planing speed.
    Next 8 Hours Run the engine at any speed however avoid operating at full throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time.
    After the 1st 10 Hours Operate the engine normally.

TWO STROKE OUTBOARDS
    Interval Procedure
    1st 10 Minutes Run the engine at the lowest possible speed (idle). A fast in-gear idle is best.
    Next 50 Minutes Do not exceed half throttle (approximately 3000 rpms). Vary engine speed occasionally. If you have an easy planing boat, accelerate at full throttle onto plane, then immediately reduce throttle to 3000 rpms or less.
    Next 2 Hours Accelerate at full throttle onto plane, then reduce engine speed to 3/4 throttle (approximately 4000 rpms). Vary engine speed occasionally. Run at full throttle for 1 minute, then allow 10 minutes of operation at 3/4 throttle or less.
    Next 7 Hours Run the engine at any speed however avoid operating at full throttle for more than 5 minutes at a time.
    After the 1st 10 Hours Operate the engine normally.

Hope this helps. I would also make sure your dealer gets you an Owners Manual for the Yamaha Outboard. You'll need it for other information (like Maintainence schedules, alarm conditions, etc.).
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer