Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fuel usage on '98 Evin 115hp?

mpickels
mpickels Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Had my fuel sending unit replaced but uncertain if it works correctly.  With almost full tank, ran for about 1.8 hrs at 25-26mph, gauge showed just under 3/4full and engine died.  Could not prime any fuel at bulb, removed connection at engine, still no prime.  Added about 3+ gal from container, then instantly primed and started.  Could it really have been empty with gauge showing over half full?

Best Answer

Answers

• mpickels
    mpickels Member Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have a FD 196FF which I believe has a 29gal tank.  Thanks for the equation!  When it shut down I looked astern and saw that I had a dock line trailing; first thought was it had tangled in the prop but it was floating free so decided that was not the problem.  With the 12-14 estimation, it would seem I still have half a tank.  Wish there was a way to see qty left in tank....   I plan to get with the guy who did the fuel sending unit and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the response/info!!

• pduffy
    pduffy Member Posts: 1

I have a question about the engine. We are buying a 1998 fun deck with a 1998 Evinrude 115 engine.

I have seen a few things on line that question how good this engine is. Problems with the oil injection system and fuel injection system.

Any thoughts?

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 2000 Evinrude 90 with the Ficht oil injection system on my last boat (a Lund Pro-V 1650) and I absolutely loved that motor.  Quick starting, no two stroke oil smell (especially at idle or trolling speed) and great reliable performance.  I talked with a long-time Evinrude dealer at a boat show last year and had a discussion about the bad rap the Ficht system seems to get.  He told me that the problem motors were the 150HP and higher models.  The under 150HP models were excellent and rarely had a problem.  Due to the great service mine gave me, I would tend to believe him.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer