Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Power poles/ Dig in Anchors

Epavuk
Epavuk Member Posts: 26
Has anyone installed Power Poles or used dig in anchors on their Hurricane? I have a SS 188I/O and was wondering how well they work, especially dig in anchors since they're way cheaper then Power Poles.

Comments

• Mishles
    Mishles Member Posts: 3
    I am considering exactly the same thing, have you learned anything as to whether the Dig In Anchors will work and which mount was best?  I have a 23' Fundeck.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been curiously hoping someone would share their experience with this technology as well (by the way, these devices aren't exactly cheap!).

I usually fish in deeper water and probably wouldn't get much use from one of these; I usually use  my Minn Kota i-Pilot's "spot lock" feature when I want to anchor (electronically) to a hot spot quickly.  I know that's not the same as using these poles.  Nevertheless, I was interested in hearing how they work.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Epavuk
    Epavuk Member Posts: 26
    From what I've read, just about everyone loves their Power Poles, but they are expensive even if you install them yourself ($1800 +).   There are other alternatives that I'm looking at like Dig In Shallow Water Anchors.  They're basically anchor poles (8, 12 ft) that you slide through a mount.  They have a stern mounted system that goes right on your motor mount (no drilling necessary) and a bow mounted system that attaches to your trolling motor.  You can get a complete system like that for under $300.  The down size is that you have to carry 1 or 2 - 8 to 12ft poles on the boat and my Hurricane wouldn't have a place to store them.  At Bass Pro, you can get an even cheaper system.  They sell an 8 ft pole that you simply stick in the ground and attach a line that you secure your boat to.  I'm not sure how well they work in windy situations.  That's why I was trying to see if others have tried using them.     
  • Mishles
    I fish around Tampa and the water for inshore fishing is extremely shallow.  I've been considering a push pole like used on flats boats, but have no idea if you could even move a FD 237 with a push pole.  Then while looking into push poles I came across push pole type anchor systems like discussed here.  Ideally I would like a push pole that once I get to where I want to quietly, I can then push the same pole into the brackets available to anchor the boat.  My concern is my boat is a heavy monster that I wonder if it can be moved in shallow water with a push pole.  I think the anchor system would work because much of our fishing is shallow water among mangrove islands etc.
  • FloridaBruce
    FloridaBruce Member Posts: 3

Save your money on the push pole. I too fish in the Tampa area and purchased a pole anchoring system. I spent 369.00 at West Marine for the pole and mount. It couldnt hold my 19.6 fun deck. I tried everything. The sandy hard bottom is too tough to get the pole inserted deep enough to hold the boat. I can see it working in muddy bottoms but not sand. I know have a 8'.0 spear sitting in my garage.

• cjjjdeck
    Sounds like they are designed mostly for the "Bass Boys" and their rigs, using them on inland water. 

• Mishles
    Thanks for the comments, I was about to build my own to try out.  I've not tried to push a pole into the sand so this was news to me.  I thought it would push in easy, but not tried it.
  • gator1980
    gator1980 Member Posts: 3
    I just installed two power pole blade 10 ft and atlas jack plate 
  • cjjjdeck
    Maybe you can post some pictures of what you did so others might do the same.  Start a new post, mention your year and model.

Looking forward to seeing the install!

• cjjjdeck
    I added a modified 3rd picture so it would show the boat right side up.

Thanks so much for sharing this!  Looks like a great job done!