Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Spring services for boats

melisazack
melisazack Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

We are new to boat owning- bought a 2001 Hurrican sd224 last may - we had it winterized at the marina - now its time to think about spring service as they call it.  Do I need all this I have 2 options since we dont' know too much I was leaning to B..

A - check repair all lights, check zinc replace as need, charge battery, start engine check operation, check throttle & shift cable adjustment and rinse boat... $140

B - all of A plus -replace inline fuel filter - replace spark plugs - adjust idle speed - replace thermostat  $195.00

Is this good bad???  advise - mind you I don't know when some of this was done on this boat - and in the future should I do this every year?

Painting bottom question - yearly or as needed?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    While I am not familiar with a SD224, nor can advise on bottom painting as I am in fresh water, I can tell you that with a used new to you boat, unless you know what service had previously been performed, I would do B PLUS change the impeller, lower unit oil and engine oil (assuming you don't have 2 stroke OB), if this was not done during winterizing.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • melisazack
    melisazack Member Posts: 12 ✭✭

Thank you... I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote 224 I should of wrote SD237

I did have the winterizing done.  my guess on the painting of the bottom was if it looks good still then I could pass on the repaint this season.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Melisazack, please check to see if your winterizing service included the lower unit oil change.  Most boat dealers like to change that oil during winterization to make sure there are no water leaks in the lower unit.  That would prevent the water from freezing and damaging the unit.  If they didn't change it, by all means, do as bshippjr suggests and get it changed (along with all his other suggestions).  Just make sure its changed during next winterization.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer