Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

1998 115 Evenrude OB engine

pduffy
pduffy Member Posts: 1

We are buying a 220 fundeck with a 1998 Evenrude 115 hp outboard engine. I have looked on line and it seems like there might be problems with the oil injection system where people have removed it. Also with the fuel injection system. We need an engine that starts and runs all the time. Do anyone here have experiance with this engine or would we be wise o work out a newer OB when we buy the boat.

Thanks for any help

Answers

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

The engine you refer to and what you've probably have seen many, many negative posts on is the Ficht fuel injection system.  They introduced this in the late 90s and had some considerable problems with its reliability.  The last one build by OMC was in 2001, and the next models were by Bombardier after they purchased the Johnson/Evinrude name and products after OMC went bankrupt.

The 2002-2004 Ficht systems were very reliable (in fact I have a close friend who has been running his for 7 years problem free)

The oil pumps have been an issue with OMC engines for years dating back to the early 80s with the VRO pump.  This was later replaced by VRO2 and majorly improved in 93 with the OMS system which again, in my experience has been quite reliable so the age of the engine you're talking I'd be less concerned with the oil injection system. 

The also had carbureted versions as well.  Which model engine does it have?

So regardless of the engine, as always have someone (yourself if you have the tools and know how) check it out.  A well maintained engine is exactly that.  If the compression is good, fuel pressure, etc, will reasonable hours for its age may still be a good engine.  I've seen 4-5 year old engines I wouldn't buy because of poor care and maintenance regardless of the reliability ratings.  People tend to share the negative sides, but no one is posting about how reliable their 10-15+ engine is unless asked.

The other factor is availability of parts.  Is there a local Evinrude dealer?  Ask him if you had this engine can he service them or get access to replacement parts. 

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    Please don't take this the wrong way, and I know that there are plenty of 2 stroke fans. But if you are looking for a no fuss outboard that starts every time and goes all day, get yourself a newer 4 stroke. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury are all great. 

Those old 2 strokes are VERY durable. Will run for years to come. But require constant attention to keep them running. I have a buddy with one of those older Evinrudes. When its running its great, pushes his boat like a monster. But its loud, drinks gas like there is no tomorrow, and requires constant fixing. Always fouling plugs, idles like crap. Def. not a good motor for a family boat that is designed to relax and play. 
    2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭

@omar174, I'll partially agree and disagree.

I have owned several 2 strokes (and own a 4 year old 2 Stroke Mercury Optimax)

I can't agree more that there are some serious negatives:

- louder than their 4 stroke counterparts (getting better, but definitely not as quiet)

- adding oil (while you don't need to mix it, you still need it in the oil reservoir for the pump to meter/mix it)

Where I disagree is on the reliability or constant fixing.   I've done maintenance on both 2 and 4 strokes.  Maintenance is equal in regards to effort and reliability has been the same. 

As for fuel consumption, comparisons for 4 stroke vs 2 stroke is almost a wash (2 stroke burns a little more at the low and high ranges, but are marginally better in the optimal range in the Mercury Optimax 2 stroke vs the 4 stroke Verado)  Where it costs is the DFI oils you need to add to the 2 stroke which now drives the cost per hour of operation up. 

Start talking carbureted and you have a valid point on fuel consumption and a little more care as carbs gum up, etc.

Now as someone who has owned a 1962 Mercury 50HP, 115HP 2002 Johnson, and my current 200HP Mercury Optimax (all 2 strokes), if I went out tomorrow to buy an engine, it would be a 4 stroke.  I simply passed on it 4-5 years ago because of the reliability of the supercharger on the Mercury 4 stroke Verado just wasn't there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • omar174
    omar174 Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    @nquirk, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat with a newer Etec or Optimax. Prob. every bit as hassle free as most 4 strokes. 

I'm just giving the same advice I would give to a friend. I'm very confident that most modern 4 strokes will be as reliable or more reliable then a car engine. Just turn the key and go. I've owned a Mercury 4 stroke, and a couple of Hondas. My father in law has twin Suzuki 4 strokes on his center console. All have been as hassle free as I could hope. I never have to worry about them. 

I just think an old 2 stroke is not the choice I would make at this point. 

2003 GS211 Yamaha 150 HP OX66