Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Boat Cover Problem - 2013- SunDeck Sd 187 OB

Options
Blong
Blong Member Posts: 1
Last season I purchased a 2013- SD 187 OB.   I trailered the boat all season, and I've noticed while parked in my driveway with the bow and stern covers on during any type of rain, the boat take on a lot of water, which continually pours out the rear drain.  This year (2014) I plan on keeping the boat docked on the lake for the season.  When it rains, water will continue to go into the boat, but will be pumped out by the bilge pump.  My fear is that my battery will die after a long rain storm.  My question is: Does any one have a problem with the covers on their boat, is there a know problem by Hurrican with the covers letting in water? I did a test with a water hose, and by spraying the front of the windshield, it appears the water goes directly down the windshield cover, and under the bow cover below the windshield, were it snaps into place.   Thank you for any help you can provide.  

Comments

• bshippjr
    bshippjr Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My boat stays in a covered slip year round so I have good protection from rain.  I leave the two piece snap on covers on during the summer (in the winter I use a full cover).  I have no issue with water intrusion.  Every couple of years I wash the covers (each piece individually in a washer with mild detergent) and when dry spray on 303 Fabric Guard to restore the fabric's water repellent ability.  Additionally as water would collect in the middle of the covers, I have a boat cover support pole in the bow, and leave the table in the stern to elevate the center of the covers to better drain the water. 

I would also think that any water that gets to the deck would drain through the self bailing feature of the deck and not go into the bilge.
    2000 Hurricane SD 217 OB
  • maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    My 2007 Sundeck SD195 is very similar to yours and has the same problem with the 2 piece cover. During a heavy rain, lots of water drains out of the bilge drain hole.  Cover is only good for keeping sun and birds out.  I used to put a tarp over the cover, but now it sits in a boat house so no issues with water anymore.  Same thing happens when I hose off the deck, even though it has a self bailing feature, water still fills the bilge.  Must be a bunch of weep holes that drain directly into the bilge. The 2 piece cover is a bad design if your'e storing it at an uncovered boat dock. I suggest you purchase a one piece semi-custom waterproof cover from Overton's or an internet boat cover supplier.  You won't find an exact fit unless you have one custom made at a canvas shop.   
  • sd217ob
    sd217ob Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Applying a water repellant regularly will help a great deal, as water will seep through the cover. Our biggest problem was/is water pooling in certain areas on the cover. The biggest problem area was in the stern port corner (corner of the back seat). We added another pole right in the corner of the seat (forward corner, so the pole sits on the deck). This solves the issue for the rear cover. The front cover tends to pool near the corners at the bow, and we don't have a great solution there. However, making sure that the cover is tight as possible, and ALL SNAPS are snapped, makes a big difference. Our 2007 covers have had seams stitched but are on maybe their last year of service, but that's year-round in the harsh southeastern US sunshine and it's UV degradation that affects this fabric more than anything else. Using a UV inhibitor water repellent spray or wash will prolong life of the fabric.
  • mceachron
    mceachron Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am having a strip of canvas sewed on bow cover and snapped under windshield with double snaps