Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Has anyone had a problem with the stock throttle for a Yamaha 115 4 stroke?

aaa1950
aaa1950 Member Posts: 19
I have a 2012 188 SDS with a Yamaha 155 4 stroke OB. The throttle is a stock Yamaha throttle that came with the boat, not sure but I think it is a 6 x 3 (not sure if that's correct, and the manual and boat is at the lake (50 miles away). The throttle was adjusted at the first service because it would not stay in position while cruising (in smooth water) at 4000 rpm, it would creep back. The dealer said it was installed wrong. After the adjustment the throttle really wasn't much better and it has never been smooth at all. It is most difficult to adjust when trying to load at the ramp. It sticks and if you aren't careful you over throttle at exactly the wrong time. My question is: should the throttle operate smoothly and should it stay in place when cruising? I still may be fairly new to boating but I haven't seen one this difficult to operate.

Answers

• servmgr64
    servmgr64 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    My Mercury 150 4-stroke throttle (stock unit) will not stay at a set position. Was told by the dealer that it was for safety. Once you get over 2000 rpm the friction mechanism will not hold at higher rpm's. I looked at my manual for the control & partially disassembled it to see if I could increase the friction, it looked like this was not a job for me. So I reassembled & have been using it as it came. Hope this helps Servmgr64 2013 FD 226 2013 Mercury 150 4-stroke 2014 Shorelander trailer
    servmgr64 2013 FD226 2013 Mercury 150 4-stroke 2014 Shorelander
  • aaa1950
    I can live with having to readjust the throttle at cruising speeds, I guess. But the throttle is tight while loading on the trailer or docking that it makes it difficult to do it safely. Especially if wind gusts are strong and water conditions are not smooth. What I'm trying to say is the throttle seems to stick and you have to apply excessive pressure to maneuver. On several occasions I have had near disasters. I will be the first to admit I don't have a lot of experience owning a boat, but it should not be this hard. I'm just trying to get a feel from the experienced boaters out there on how the throttle should operate, while understanding the each boat is different.  Thanks for any advice offered. By the way, I have a maintenance scheduled this spring and I fully intend on having it checked by an experienced technician. Definitely will not be the dealer who sold me the boat.

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Hey there, aaa1950. I have noticed the problem you mention on my FD196OB. Same Yamaha 115 and stock control, and it won't stay on the sweet spot around 4000 rpm. It stays at WOT just fine but sometimes you don't want to run wide open. I have to keep my hand on the lever. I am planning to haul my boat out soon and put it in the barn for a few springtime tweaks and that throttle issue is on the list. I suppose there is a friction adjustment but I haven't looked yet. Will post anything I learn.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    I found a throttle friction adjustment segment in a Yamaha manual that might be helpful if your unit has a similar throttle control.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• aaa1950
    cjjjdeck: my throttle is the 704 standard 6 x 3 (seen below). To be honest I haven't had the opportunity to look for an adjustment. When I get it serviced I plan on having the tech work on it and show me how it should be.

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    OK, I finally pulled my boat out of the water and got it in the barn for some tweaks. The loose throttle was on the list. As a trained professional with many years experience, I know to look in the book when all else has failed. Sure enough, there is an adjustment screw under a plastic cover at one end of the remote control base. Mine was underneath. Slotted screw turns clockwise to increase friction, don't make it too tight.
    I also put a couple SS screws in the compass to replace the sticky tape and adjusted the horn so it blows when the engine is not running. The temporary loops I had tied onto the railing for fenders are gone, replaced by three metal loops riveted on each side of the boat. Permanently installed the magnetic catch under the rear gate, so it doesn't bang back and forth while we are swimming. Then the bent prop issue. The factory prop had one blade with a inch less cup than the others and not a scratch on it. I remember the submerged log we hit going slow. Used a lead hammer and a brass hammer to straighten it, now it looks like hammered **** but it would work. Maybe for a spare, I already have a PowerTech RXB4R16PYM90 sitting on the bench waiting to install until after I change the oil, then I'll go find that log and chop it into kindling!
  • derail
    derail Member Posts: 1
    FlyingV5.  The adjustment screw you are talking about is it black to the right of the right of the throttle control, just above the kill switch?  If so, I may have over tightened mine and now my controls are all out of messed up.  When I go to neutral it no longer goes to neutral and the switch doesn't set.  Any ideas on how to loosen it up?  

Thanks

D