Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trolling motor for a SunDeck Sport 202 I/O

MarlTroutBum
MarlTroutBum Member Posts: 10
Hey again, 

It's the new guy with another question.  I am anxiously waiting for my new 2014 SunDeck Sport 202 I/O to come in.  While I am waiting, I am trying to figure out what Minkota trolling motor to put on it?  Does anyone have any recommendations? 

I am thinking either the PowerDrive V2 or Terrova but I am not sure on what I need for Shaft Length and Max Trust - I was thinking 54" and 70lbs (but I have no idea).  I want the i-Pilot feature and will be fishing in freshwater lakes 99% of the time and maybe a major river once or twice a season.

I was also thinking of a Riptide (just to get the white color) but I am not sure if that complicates things.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Todd B.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're getting the i-Pilot feature, they're somewhat comparable.  My understanding (may be incorrect) is the PD2 doesn't allow use of i-Pilot and pedal at the same time but Terrova does.

I have a SS188 and use a PDV2 with 55lbs thrust.  It will move me around but wouldn't be sufficient in a decent wind or ripple on the water or a current in the river. 

I would've liked (and will most likely add) the i-Pilot so I can control the motor from both the bow and stern depending on where I'm fishing from.

Here is a bunch more info in other threads that may help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • MarlTroutBum
    MarlTroutBum Member Posts: 10
    Thx for the info nquirk.  

I received an e-mail from Hurricane, and they stated by numbers were pretty spot on.  I think I narrowed it down to either the:
    • Riptide ST 80 - 54" Shaft, 80lbs of trust (plus like the fact that it's white)
    or 
    •  PowerDrive V2 70 - 54" Shaft, 70lbs of trust
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are both terrific motors.  I did end up choosing the 60" shaft for my boat as my bow sits up a bit high with my swim platform about a couple of inches above the water at rest.  I have three batteries, 17 gal fresh water tank plus the engine and drive probably contributing.  I figured you can always make the shaft shorter, but not the other way around.

Also, if you choose the Riptide, don't miss out on the $80.00 pre-paid AMEX card rebate offer if you go for one of the i-Pilot options:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer