Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

What motor for 187 OB?

skidtrash
skidtrash Member Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey everyone.. long time listner first time caller....

Looking into buying a 187OB... dealer has all yamaha 115 4strokes... says he doesnt sell many 150's because it doesnt make that much of a difference.

Would love to hear some thoughts from you guys

thanks in advance

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @skidtrash.

What exactly are you planning to use the boat for?  If its for general boating, cruising and fishing, the 115HP is more than adequate.

However, if you plan to fill the boat with family and friends and do some water skiing/watersports, you'll want to consider the larger engine.  

I'm in the latter camp, and my previous 172 had a 115HP and I found it too small for that purpose.  When I purchased my 188, 150HP was the right size to allow me to do the watersports and carry a loaded boat, etc.  I ended up with even larger, but still believe the 150HP would've been adequate for that purpose.

If you know what you expect to do with the boat, it will make the engine sizing easier.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nquirk
    Also, if you're concerned about fuel consumption, think about the following.  While larger engines will consume more fuel, usage of the engine has an impact.

Yamaha 4 Stroke - 115HP
    2000 RPMs 1.0GPH
    3000 RPMs 2.6GPH
    4000 RPMs 4.6GPH

Yamaha 4 Stroke - 150HP
    2000 RPMs 2.1GPH
    3000 RPMs 4.2GPH
    4000 RPMs 6.1GPH

Given these #s, you can see that the 150 is a approx 30% larger in HP and burns roughly 30-35% more fuel in the same RPM range.

However, given the 187OB has a wet weight of 3793lbs then add people (identical to my SS188), I suspect that with the 115HP, to get on plane an maintain a cruising speed you'd be running 800-1000RPMs higher than the 150HP would to do a similar activity.  So the 115HP at 4000RPMs will burn close the same as the 150HP in the low 3000s, etc.  So you're fuel consumption, while greater at the same RPM range, will not be varied by much with the extra horsepower.

I hope this explanation is helpful and gives you some more info when deciding which engine to buy as operating costs are always a factor.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • nquirk
    Also, just a reminder that if you go to a 150HP or greater, you'll need to upgrade your steering to hydraulic steering which of course will need to be factored into your costs.   Hurricane site shows it as a $1250 option
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • skidtrash
    @nquirk I noticed that when looking through the options..... Idk how much i plan on pulling anyone im just trying to see if spending an extra 5-6k on the 150 is worth it or not.....
  • skidtrash
    ill mainly use it more for.. cruising...maybe a little diving (i live in south florida). 
  • nquirk
    @skidtrash.  If you're not waterskiing and may pull the odd person on a tube, I'd save the extra $5-6k and stick with the base 115HP.  

I would say 80% or so of these boats get sold with 115HP on them and those who buy more HP do so to accommodate the extra pull getting up on plane, etc to handle aggressive watersports.

Hope this is helpful. 
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • DickHopfensperger
    DickHopfensperger Member Posts: 6

I just purchased a used 2001 188 with outboard Yamaha 115, and questioned the same thing, as I had a hard time getting it to plane, and had to really rev up the RPMS.  What are the tabs,(additional equipment?), about for improved planing? How about props and pitches?

Please advise.

• nquirk
    Smart Tabs will absolutely help you get on plane much quicker and would most likely be a great investment for your situation
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • JOSHDOLPHINS1
    JOSHDOLPHINS1 Member Posts: 15
    Don't get the 115. You will hate it.
    I'm sure u can easily find another Hur dealer that would love to sell u a 150. Also u may still find a 2013 left over and save even more.
    I went with the evinrude and it included all steering and instruments with a 5 yr warranty.
  • skidtrash
    edited June 2014
    Thanks @joshdolphins1 .....I ended up finding a great price on a used 187... had the 115 on it but its not to bad... could definatly use the 150 but I couldnt pass up the deal I got