Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Interesting wiring situation - 2001 GS 201 O/B

Options
rdcastle
rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
While having my 2001 Yamaha 150 V-6 2-stroke rebuilt last fall, I also had some other items worked on. One such item was installing a new fuel sender and gauge. Didn't get to use the boat at night the rest of the season but just before calling it a year, I was on the boat looking at the nav lights and a few other electrical items. I switched the nav lights on and all three came on as expected as well as the instrument lights, as expected. When I placed the switch in the "Anchor" position however, not only did the all around white light come on but my new fuel gauge went to full scale! There was only about 10 gals. in tank but each time I switched on the anchor light, the gauge went full scale. What have they done to my wiring? I didn't haul it back to shop because it is in a lift and somewhat of a hassle to launch, retrieve, and trailer it 10 miles into town. Any advice as to how to proceed would be appreciated.
Rob Castle
2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My guess is they pulled a power source for your fuel gauge of the positive side of the 3 way NAV switch so when you go into Anchor mode you get this.

That would be the first place I'd look.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • rdcastle
    Options
    Sorry about the long delay nquirk, I think you are correct on your suggestion. At some point, the fuel sender connection to the gauge changes wire colors and I suspect the confusion ensued. I believe this occurred under original owner as he was know to "dress things up, get them running" vs doing thing correctly. I have copies of the wiring diagrams and schematics for the entire boat and I have been studying them carefully to trace the circuit. I will let all know how it goes as this is the first time I have been able to work on her in a while. Thanks again!!
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
  • rdcastle
    Options

It is solved! I followed a hint from someone in the marine wiring business that is very familiar with Hurricanes, and his suggestion was to trace/troubleshoot the ground for the fuel gauge. I did just that and lo and behold, the mechanics at my repair facility of choice failed to re-connect the ground to the back of the gauge when they installed it last Fall. It was just stuck in amongst the wiring there and probably forgotten (lunch break I assume). Anyway the gauge no longer reads full when my anchor light is on!! Thanks all for responding.

Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD