Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Prop Size and Pitch

Options
I have just purchased a 2011 Hurricane Sundeck 188 with a Suzuki Four Stroke DF140.  I am currently running a 13 1/4 x 20 ported prop.  I am still getting used to the boat and its handling.  I think I need to change the prop to keep the boat from Blowing out when getting on plane. Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

Comments

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I went from a 3 blade SS Yamaha to a 4 blade SS PowerTech prop on my boat.  It definitely helped get the boat on plane faster, and reduced the blow out in the turns, but it did reduce my top speed by a couple of mph.  After doing some research, I decided to go with a PowerTech prop.  I contacted PowerTech and they gave me a couple of props to choose from after I gave them all the detailed information.  In order for them (or anybody) for that matter, to give you a recommendation for a new prop, you will need to know your engines rated max RPMs, the current max RPM you run with the current prop., along with max speed, etc.. 

The more information you can give the better advice anyone can give as to a new prop, but even at best, I learned that prop. selection is a crap shoot.  You may get several choices, and you will have to try several different props to find one that works best.  Therefore, be sure that there is a return policy on the prop in case it doesn't work out.  Your goal is to get a prop that runs at your engines max. rated RPM, and gives you the performance you want.  It is not an exact science.

The other addition that I found very helpful for my boat was the addition of trim tabs.  I added Smart Tabs, and that also helped to get the boat on plane at a lower speed and keep it there.  The tabs also make the boat more stable in rough water. 

Good Luck. 
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • jurodae1
    jurodae1 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for that information.  Would you happen to know the Size and Pitch of your four blade??  I have talked to my dealer and he is sending a 14" x 20 unported three blade for me to try. 
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I went from a 3 blade Yamaha 14.25/17 pitch SS prop to a 4 blade PowerTech 14.50/15 pitch SS prop on my Yamaha F150.
    The engine revs to around 5700 rpms with the new prop, versus close to 6000 with the older 3 blade (6000 rpm is the target max. for my engine).  I dropped about 2-3 mph off my top speed by changing to the 4 blade prop (from 40 mph to around 37 mph with the new prop), but I have much better hole shot, and the boat planes at lower speed with the new prop.  There is less venting in the turns also.  Overall, the boat is a much better platform for towing my daughter on a wakeboard, which was my original goal.  I suspect that I'm getting a little better fuel mileage at cruising speed with the new prop as well, but I do not have fuel management software on my boat, so there is no way to tell. 

Something else to consider when buying a new prop is whether the prop is "cupped" or not.  The PowerTech props have cupped blades.  A cupped prop will actually act like a prop that is pitched higher.  For example, the 15 pitch PowerTech actually will behave more like a non-cupped 16 or even 17 pitched prop.  I believe that both of these props are not ported.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your prop search.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • We suggest you drop to a 19 pitch prop.  Need more information?  Just let us know.
  • jurodae1
    jurodae1 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I had a chance to test run my Hurricane 188 with a prop my dealer sent.  This prop is a 14x20 unported.  This is the largest diameter factory prop for the Suzuki DF140.  The new prop change has seemed to fix the blowout coming out of the hole and in tight turns.  I have has the boat loaded with different amounts of people on a joy ride and the boat seems to handle great.  I will have to do more research when I start pulling tubes.

Thanks