Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

2003 Fun Deck 201 steering fluid?

Options
craigo
craigo Member Posts: 5

My boat requires a lot of "back and forth" steering. It doesn't seem to want to travel in a straight line, and I guessI am over-compensating each time I turn the wheel. However, I thought something else might be in play and I found a fill-cap at the helm, which I believe might be for steering fluid.  I bought the boat second hand, but received the original owner's manual with the purchase.  It mentions nothing about that fill cap, or power steering.  Does anyone know what it is, and what should go in it? It looks like it is either low or dry. Any info will help. Thanks

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @craigo, what you've found is in fact the fill access for the fluid for your hydraulic steering.

From this, you can bleed the system as any low fluid or air inside the system will make steering difficult.  You'll need a hose and adapter to connect to this fill port and the other end to the container of fluid.

What you've described however is something I've seen on I/O boats where there is a fair bit of back/forth travel in the steering at slower speeds but unnoticeable at the higher speeds.  Is this correct?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • craigo
    Options

Thanks.  Can I just use any hydraulic fluid, or is it something more specific?

You are correct about the back and forth.  It's no problem turning when running fast, but it does make docking a little difficult.

• nquirk
    Options
    @craigo, I've always found the I/Os (i've only driven a few) tend to do that compared to their outboard counterparts.

Not sure if the fluid/bleeding of the system will affect that or if there is a way to tighten it up.

I've always used this http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/hydraulic-fluids/ but I don't know its specs but any marine rated hydraulic steering fluid should work as it will have corrosion inhibitors, etc and have the right ratings.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • craigo
    Options

Sorry nquirk.  I just realized that you've been referencing I/O's.  Mine is a Yamaha 115 outboard, and it doesn't track as well as I would like. 

The fill cap at the helm seems to have something to do with the "tilt" feature of the wheel. There is a sticker on it that says "Tilt Helm", and 6.9Mpa.  The cap DOES say Vent and Fill, I just don't know what vents or fills.

So one may have nothing to do with the other.  What is most pressing right now is the "fill" thing.  All help is appreciated!

• nquirk
    Options
    What's on it for steering?  I'm thinking there must be a way to tightening it up at slower speeds. Have not seen sloppy steering on an OB at low speeds and in fact, with hydraulic steering, its usually the opposite with it being very firm at slow speeds and softer manoeuvrability on plane and at higher speeds.

I'd still start with bleeding the steering.    Here is some info (starts on page 29)

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB