Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fuel Gauge stuck on Full

I just bought a 2011 SS188 with Yamaha OB 115. The Gas Gauge seems very erratic and doesnt give me consistent reading. When should I best be able to assess the level of gas ? Flat sitting still ? when boat is planed out while running ? I think there may be an issue with the gauge itself. What is the best way to tell if there is a problem with the gauge ?

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    If it shows full on full, and then it starts to flip around when under way, this is normal as the float on the fuel sender is bobbing around inside the tank.

At a flat stand still it should give you a reading.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • DanInAlabama
    DanInAlabama Member Posts: 5
    Thanks again @nquirk‌ but now it is just Stuck on full all the time
  • DickHopfensperger
    DickHopfensperger Member Posts: 6
    I have the same issue, so any suggestions?
  • nquirk
    Sorry I missed this reply.  Does it stay on full when the key is completely off.  If it is, then your gauge is stuck and needs to be replaced.  

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • nquirk
    If that is not the case then let's test the sender unit.

Unhook the sender wire and turn the key to the ON position.  Gauge should read empty.
    Then, short the sender terminal to ground and turn the key to ON.  Gauge should read full.

Finally, if you remove your sending unit from the fuel tank you can test the sending unit.  With an ohmmeter, attach the red lead on the sending unit terminal, and the black lead to ground on the sending unit.  As you do this and move the float arm, you should get readings ranging from 20-240 ohms.

Hope this helps.
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB