Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Anyone have experience with a Keel Guard?

1pointofview
1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
the last boat outing I had last year we got a lot of scrapes on our boat from sharp gravel in shallow water.  Some deeper scrapes I put some gel coat filler but I think I want to but on a keel guard.  Most of the scratchs are on the keel and based on the instructions, you should rough up the area you will attach the guard to so with all the scraps and scratches, it will have a good surface to adhere too :)

Long story short, anyone have any experience with it? It is life time guaranteed and I think it will add a nice bit of protection.

http://www.keelguard.com/keelguard.html
2013 Hurricane SS188
115 Yam
Magic Tilt Trailer
Hotty Toddy

Comments

• skibum
    skibum Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    My bass rig has a keel guard brand on it. I do not like it,qas dealer installed and half of it came detached in 3 years. My fd 226 re4 has a Hanbys shield on it. It actually uses a bonding resin type glue to attach to hull. The hanbys costs double what a keel guard costs and you have to get it installed. If i had it to do over the bass rig would have the hanbys. Your boat so your choice but I HIGHLY recommend the hanbys keel protector.
  • 1pointofview
    awesome.  I will have to look at hanbys.  thank you so much for the insight!
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • TNriver
    TNriver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I have owned both. I had Hanbys for 17yrs on my previous boat with no problems. My 2013 SS188 has the keelgaurd on it now since it was purchased. I beach it on the river bank on a regular basis and have not had any issues so far. I like them both if installed properly.

2013 SS188 OB

Yamaha F150

Heritage Single Axle Trailer

• Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Another product to consider is the Keel Shield.  I've used both the Keel Guard and the Keel Shield, and I like the Keel Shield better of the two.  Both products are good and do the job.  The Keel Guard is a thicker more rubbery product.  The problem I had with it is that: 1. It is harder to apply around changes in contour due to its thickness and 2.  The first one I applied separated after a couple of years and had to be replaced.  I'll admit that I was using the guard on a drive on dock, which put a significant amount of pressure on it and was probably not recommended.  I'll also say that Keel Guard stood behind the product and sent me a free replacement, which I promptly sold. 

I put the Keel Shield on my Hurricane 217 SD and I really like that product.  It is thinner than the Keel Guard, which is actually a good thing in that it makes it easier to go around the chines or steps on your boat when you apply it.  It is also basically a 1 layered product unlike the Keel Guard which as multiple layers.  This sounds like multiple layers might be a good thing, but mine separated between the different layers.  I think price wise, the Keel Shield was a little more expensive, but not much.  I routinely beach my boat and the Keel Shield has keep the hull looking very good.  The Keel Shield also has a lifetime warranty.   Here are some photos of the Keel Shield on my boat:

2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • 1pointofview
    man, more out there than I first found.  Will keep my options open.  I plan on doing something next season. I paid for some work to smooth out and fill in some of the deeper scratches.  Looking to do something spring of next year. 
    2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy