Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

SMART TABS OR HYDROFOIL BOAT STABILIZER FOR BETTER PLANING?

I recently got a used 2001 18'8 fundeck with 115 Yamaha Outboard, and am concerned about how hard it is to plane out. Afte reading this forum I was ready to go with smart tabs, (SX 9510-60, per Naticus),  but dealer suggested trying the Stingray XRIII Hydrofoil Bpoat Stabilizer instead. Any input on prop pitch as well, to improve planing?

Thoughts? 

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @DickHopfensperger.  Smart Tabs.  Without question.  I've tried several of the hydrofoil.  I dislike them and I'm not a huge fan of drilling holes anywhere but in the cavitation plate of my engine is even less desirable.

Will the hydrofoil help you get on plane?  Yup.  Will it also pronounce and exaggarate any prop torque that naturally occurs on a single engine installation?  You betcha.

Smart Tabs simple work.  And for a few bucks extra you can get the quick connects to flip them out of the way when trailering.

Search this forum for Smart Tabs.  Nothing but great things to say.  And you can stay on plane at lower RPMs once you're there.

I have a 2010 188 but with a 200HP.  I can find myself on plane in a few secs and I'm still considering smart tabs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    On the prop stuff.... Here's some good reading.

You'll need some current specs on your boat,etc but this site let's you pick a Mercury prop for your specification.  (Yamaha engines included)  You'll be looking for acceleration/performance for faster planing.  Realizing doing this will slow your boat down on the top end speed.

Don't know your prop, so tough to tell you what to move to.  I use a 5 blade but a 4 blade may give you the extra pop for planing to help you out.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer