Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Hurricane 226 rf

RichardD
RichardD Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
Folks, being handy as I am, I want to share some info with everyone that has a 226 fundeck. Bought my boat new in late February. Wanted a fresh water washdown and I wanted to install a trolling motor. As you may know, Hurricane doesn't offer a fresh water wash down even as an option on this boat. I installed one, and it works great. So, if anyone needs help doing this contact me at buzzdressel@gmail.com. Also, we do a lot of fishing in the low waters of southwest Florida. Bought a minnkota riptide. 60" shaft, 80# thrust. The best thing is this motor has gps which will bring you back the same way you went into the mangroves. Better yet, with "ipilot" on the motor, it has an electronic anchor feature to keep the boat in the same spot without having to drop an actual anchor. It's great! I'm posting this as, on a226 with the fishing seats, it can be a daunting task, for both the mounting and the electrical work. I can walk you through the whole installation, including the electrical work. When you get the 226 with the fishing chairs, you almost have to put a trolling motor on it. I'm here to help and take out all the mystery associated with the install. Again, contact me at buzzdressel@gmail.com.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks RichardD for sharing this with the other owners!

When you get a chance, post some pictures of your boat with the installed items!
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• RichardD
    RichardD Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Being not too computer, or in this case, iPad literate, just how would I do that?
  • cjjjdeck
    It's actually fairly easy.  If you notice, below the "Leave a Comment" section there is a link (in RED letters) you can click on that says "Attach a file".  Click that link.  You will see another link button appear labeled "Choose File".  Click that link.  It will pop-up a window that allows you to access files on your computer.  Find the picture you want to load and click on it.  Repeat the process if you want to attach more than one file.  It will appear on the forum thread. 

• cjjjdeck
    Nice install!  My trolling motor (Terrova 80lb iPilot/US2) is located similarly.  I agree with all you stated about the Minn Kota.  I love the way the GPS guided features operate.  More fishing, less maneuvering!

• dduba
    dduba Member Posts: 2

Nice install. I am in the market for a trolling motor for my 226. I think The Terrova. 

I had a motor guide on my last 226 and mounted it straight down the middle. I had to remove the front running light and place individual lights on the corners.

Does your shaft get in the way of the fishing seat?

• rcgreat
    rcgreat Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

can you get a farther back picture? I am curious where the handle ends up.

1997 Hurricane Fundeck 226R

1997 Yamaha C115

Dunedin, FL

• cjjjdeck

Here's a picture of mine, if it helps.  The motor is usually in it's down position when we are using the fishing chairs, so no interference really at all.

• timhannan
    timhannan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for sharing.  I have a GS232 and was wondering what size trolling motor and shaft length to get.  Any recommendations?
  • cjjjdeck
    edited June 2015
    You have a 23 foot boat hull like I do, so I would imagine our specs are close.  

I use my trolling motor mostly for maneuvering, not trolling, so I have been very happy with my 24 volt, 80 lb thrust Minn Kota Terrova.  After measuring the distance from the top of my front deck to the water surface, then adding an additional 12 to 18 inches, the 60 inch shaft worked for my application.

If you are mostly interested in trolling speeds, then you will probably have to go up to the 36 volt at 101 lbs of thrust.