Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fundeck 226 -stiff steering

skiwater9
skiwater9 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I have a 2014 Fundeck 226 with a Evinrude 150 and hydraulic steering. The steering seems much too stiff. It is easy to steer when going slow (no on plane) but is stiff when on plane. Should the steering be stiff? I also have a 18' Sea Ray with a 135 and hydraulic steering and that is very easy to steer. The dealer we bought this from is about 5hr away, so want to see if anyone has suggestions. Thank you.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @skiwater9, you may need to purge any air from the hydraulic lines.  Search the manufacturers website depending on the make of your hydraulic steering on bleeding procedures.

Not unusual, particularly for newly installed steering if not bled properly on installation
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • waterboy
    waterboy Member Posts: 16 ✭✭

I know i am late on this but the 150 is the maximum you can go on a Baystar steering.  I had this problem already with Hurricane except I had the 175 hp.  I complained and they put on a U-flex system which handles much heavier engines.  You can also go with the Seastar .  Once switched the steering was fine.  Still the only problem is it seems like there are too many turns lock to lock but i can live with that problem.. First concern is safety. I used to have a Larson inboard so I didn't know what to expect when i bought the hurricane but i am a fan of the overall boat. 

ss 188 ob

175 E-tec