Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

What are these components called?

Options
Hi
Some of the electrical components are falling apart on my 12 month old 188s.
The 2 in the attached picture must be important as pretty much nothing works now. This includes the auto switch on the bilge pump!!
Could somebody tell me what they are called so I can buy more

Regards
Ray

Comments

• FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Those are the power relays. When you turn on the "master power" switch, you are activating these two relays. Each one sends power to the switches on one side of the steering column (at least that's the way my FD196 is wired). They need to be positioned so that the terminals point downward to let moisture drain out of them. Those look like they were hanging upside down like little buckets (the way mine came from the factory) and they filled with water. Get new relays and tie them up with zip-ties so they will not collect water again. They are standard automotive relays available at most auto supply stores.
  • Ernest_T
    Ernest_T Member, Moderator Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    Options
    FlyingV5 said:
    Those are the power relays. When you turn on the "master power" switch, you are activating these two relays. Each one sends power to the switches on one side of the steering column (at least that's the way my FD196 is wired). They need to be positioned so that the terminals point downward to let moisture drain out of them. Those look like they were hanging upside down like little buckets (the way mine came from the factory) and they filled with water. Get new relays and tie them up with zip-ties so they will not collect water again. They are standard automotive relays available at most auto supply stores.
    +1  Also give the new relays and connectors a good coat of dielectric grease.
    2010 Hurricane 2100 (217) Sun Deck
    2008 Yamaha F150 TXR Outboard
    2008 Yamaha FX **** Cruiser Waverunner
  • Raybungay
    Raybungay Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you both for the very useful information. I hope to replace them today now I know what they are.

By the way.... Should the bilge pump "submerged switch" operate if all the dash board switches fail?
    I would have thought it should be hard wired to the battery as a safety measure.

I was caught in a rain storm 2 days ago and took on so much rain water I could no longer get on the plane and the automatic bilge pump did not kick in.and with the dashboard electrics now wreaked the boat is still "full" of water.
    Regards
    Ray
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @raybungay, yes the auto float switch should be kicking in to pump the water out even if the master switch is off. 

There are typically 3 wires to the bilge pump.  Ground, switched power, and a constant for the float switch to the battery.  Given the condition of those relays, it won't work by switch, but should kick in via the float switch.

Remove the pump from its housing and check to see that it's spinning freely.  Sometimes they get gummed up a bit
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Raybungay
    Options
    Thanks. I'll take a look later today and let you know whats what.

(I'm quite disappointed with the build quality of this boat. It was brand new last September and I've had problem after problem.)

Regards
    Ray

• 1pointofview
    1pointofview Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Options

Raybungay said:
    Thanks. I'll take a look later today and let you know whats what.

(I'm quite disappointed with the build quality of this boat. It was brand new last September and I've had problem after problem.)

Regards
    Ray

my boat turned 1 year old this week.  we have had a load of electrical issues but it was due to a water leak inside the capt console before we bought the boat.   Sea water corroded all the electronics /relays in the dash and it took a long time to get it all fixed.  I saw a 2014 model this weekend and it looks so much nicer and better configured than my 2013.  The radio is now on the side of the console for better access.  All the switches are consolidated and up more out of the way and better to access and out of the way of the source of our water leak.   

long story short, we have enjoyed our boat now that everything is settled down.  Just pulled it 450 miles to the gulf coast for the week.  there are a few nagging things we are looking to get fixed with the upholstery that need to be repaired but nothing I can not wait on. I have plenty of room for 2 families, enough performance to have fun.  The only issue I have at this point is the 2014 looks so much better than my 2013 with upgrades like stanless steel bimini rails (mine is a thinner aluminum and plastic connections) and as said earlier the radio/swtich config, not to mention an actual cup holder for the capt.  looks like the 2014 is so much better and i am envious :)

2013 Hurricane SS188
    115 Yam
    Magic Tilt Trailer
    Hotty Toddy
  • Raybungay
    Options
    Hi
    My immediate problems are now solved. 2 new relays fitted greased and re-positioned. The so called water tight fuse holder in the live line from the battery to the bilge pump has been replaced. It was full of water corroded to **** and the fuse, not surprisingly, had blown.

I, like you am a little envious Had I waited a few more months I too could have had the captains cup holder option. Oh well...
    I fish if you do look at these...
    I think it could make better use of the ski pole hole :-)

Thanks for all the help
    Regards
    Ray