Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Trailering my new SS 188 OB

Options
Dchap50
Dchap50 Member Posts: 4

Hi all! I just purchased a brand new 2014 SS 188 OB Sundeck Sport. This is my first boat of any kind, so I am very new to boating. I have questions regarding my trailer. The dealer recommended a Road King aluminum trailer. The first time I saw the boat on the trailer I noticed a couple things. The boat sticks out about 2 feet past the rear of the trailer frame. The bunks extend to the end of the boat, but the trailer frame is about 2 feet underneath. I assumed I would need a transom saver, but I do not see a way to mount one. Another concern is that the eyelets for attaching transom straps are on the end of the bunks; therefore the security of the tie-downs would rely on the wooden bunks... not the trailer frame. Should this be of concern to me?

I love the boat, and I just want to make sure all is secure while trailering, and I do not want to risk damaging my transom or outboard motor. Thanks for any helpful advice you might offer.

Doug

Doug

2014 Hurricane SS 188 OB Sundeck Sport
Yamaha 115 Four Stroke Outboard
Road King Trailer

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How the boat sits on the bunks and the frame isn't of any concern.  The boat is properly supported assuming that with the the overall length of the bunks, half or more is forward of the anchor point to the frame.  Essentially, if the bunk is 5 feet long, 3 feet of it shouldn't be past its connection to the frame.

However, the eyelet into the wood?  I wouldn't.  I would have some added to the back of the frame.  As you've stated, it'll work in the short term but it will put stress on the wood and over time, in my opinion, will tear out of the bunks and won't secure the boat to the trailer properly.

As for transom savers, you'll get a mix of opinions.  They make a variety of different shapes that should allow it to support against the rear of the frame.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Dchap50
    Dchap50 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I feel fine about how the boat sits on the trailer. My primary concerns were the transom straps and the possibility of using a transom saver.  I will look into adding something to the rear of the trailer frame. I appreciate your help.

Doug

2014 Hurricane SS 188 OB Sundeck Sport
    Yamaha 115 Four Stroke Outboard
    Road King Trailer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is an example of what I was referring to about a transom saver (and I do use one)  This type allows you to reach down and the appropriate angle to clear the transom of your boat 

http://www.iboats.com/Swivl-Eze-MD-Angled-Adjustable-Transom-Saver/dm/cart_id.706533820--session_id.598586049--view_id.341235

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer