Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

My boat leans to the port side all the time

JeffP
JeffP Member Posts: 7

I recently purchased a 2003 Hurricane Fund Deck 211GS.  It always leans to the port side, there are 4 batteries on the boat on that side but it doesn't seem that this weight should be sufficient enough to make the boat lean that much.  Any thoughts?  I am brand new to boating so any help is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum JeffP!

There are a number of things, besides batteries, that can contribute to the listing problem.  Gas tank is usually centrally located and rarely contributes to the problem.  The location of your fresh water tank (and how much water it has in it),  how/where you stow gear and personal belongings, and where passengers sit all can contribute to the effect.  If your batteries (four batteries are pretty heavy) and a full fresh water tank are all on your port side, you need to try to compensate for that weight to help better balance the boat out.  Since you can't really change what is below deck, you move things around above deck to change the balance.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• BearFan30
    BearFan30 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

Our 1997 Fun Deck does the same with only two batteries. I never could find a decent reason for it. Bilge looks clean of water. Let me know what you find out. 

• BearFan30
    BearFan30 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

Also,  how do you check the freshwater tank level?

• JeffP
    JeffP Member Posts: 7

Will do BearFan30.  I have never filled the fresh water tank so I am going to give that a try and see if that balances things out.
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    BearFan30 said:

Also,  how do you check the freshwater tank level?

If you have an I/O model just raise the engine cover or back seat bottom and you can easily see the tank.  Mine is located in the corner of where the starboard side meets the transom.  On an outboard model it may be a bit more difficult as you usually only have a couple of deck plate access points near the motor.  If you can't see it, maybe use a mirror or camera to see if that helps you look around better to see it.

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer