Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bilge pump winterization

hutsonrs
hutsonrs Member Posts: 4
I have a 2008 232 outboard. This is my first winter and a local service winterized the motor but told me the bilge system will drain on its own. Is this accurate? I'm thinking I need to get some RV antifreeze into the pump somehow. Any tips on winterizing the bilge system with a live well? Appreciate all suggestions. Also, should I pull both batteries and put them on a tender over the winter?Thank you.

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    And to answer your original question, the bilge will drain with removal of the drain plug, however the livewell will not.  

For my livewell, I do the following:

1.  Pull the pump from its housing
    2.  Using compressed air, blow low pressure air into the supply line of livewell
    3.  using compressed air, blow low pressure air into the return (drain) line of livewell
    4.  reinstall the pump to the housing

On the batteries, that's exactly what I do with mine.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • hutsonrs
    hutsonrs Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the help. Love the boat, just want to make sure I take care of it right.