Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Boat Cleaning

Dan
Dan Member Posts: 4
I am getting ready to clean my boat for the winter and wanted to know if there is a product that is recommended.  Also, is there a check list of items I should know and do to winterize my Hurricane fundeck.   I have a Honda 150 motor.

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Dan!

My dealer cleans the hull bottom before storage.  He uses a muriatic acid solution that he sprays on then follows it up with a pressure washer.  This is to get the algae stains off the bottom of the hull (I moor my boat in the lake for the season) and makes the hull look new.  I have been advised NOT to wax the bottom of a fiberglass hull as it allows the algae to permanently stain the hull.  I usually like to wax the top sides (above the water line ONLY!) and use 303 vinyl cleaner and conditioner on the seats.

Here's a good thread that can help you with the rest of the winterization:

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1582/instructions-for-winterizing#latest
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    @cjjjdeck is right that this will work and great advice on the waxing.

If you're applying by hand, look for a hull cleaner with oxalic acid AND in gel form. This way you can squirt it on a soft bristle brush and rub onto the hull, wait a few mins and then rinse.  I also find when I'm done, I wash the hull again with a cleaner and rinse just to get any remaining residue from the hull cleaner off.

I personally find the oxalic acid works faster/easier than the muriatic acid I've used in the past and I prefer the gel as it is easier to work with.

I've also heard of others using the muriatic acid (you'll use more of it) but through the soap dispenser of the pressure washer and a soft soap nozzle to spray it on.  I may try that next season.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Dan
    Dan Member Posts: 4
    Great advise.  Thanks four the help!