Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Advice on 115 Hp or 150 Hp outboard on 187 2015 Sundeck 187

Options
chrbre
chrbre Member Posts: 3
I am getting ready to buy but having hard time deciding on motor. Local dealer mainly stocks 115 but am worried I will need 150. Please advise

Comments

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    I'd say 150, if you think you might ever pull tubers, skiers, or cruise around with a full capacity of passengers. I doubt the difference in fuel usage would be noticeable. And if you need to sell at some point, nobody's likely to complain about a larger engine, but some might not go for the 115. My boat, a little bigger, starts to get sluggish with a 150 when I have 8 or so on board. Those who own an SD187 may disagree, however. I suppose the dealer might offer a better price for engines he has on hand, but compared to the price of a new boat, the differential can't be all that significant, can it?
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @hydroCanis is right.  Consider the 150HP if money isn't an issue.   115HP if you wish to do watersports with many passengers will be sluggish.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • chrbre
    chrbre Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks.  The extra cost for 150 and addition of hydraulic steering was around $4000.  I think I would rather spend more up front than regret at a later time.
  • FlyingV5
    FlyingV5 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    Options
    IMHO, as owner of a FD196 w/115 Yamaha, I would advise you to order the 150. My 115 is plenty of power for skiing and 2-person tubing but sometimes you just want to go faster. (Top speed 38mph w. 4-blade prop on 115). On the other hand, the 115 is very fuel efficient, you can ski all weekend on one tank of gas. And if speed is your thing you might want a deep vee instead of a deckboat. Still, if my boat had not been already set up and at a great price I might have ordered it with 150... As to the hydraulic steering, I love it. Stays where you put it and holds course. But at $1000 for the option, I might not have ordered it. Don't let the cost dissuade you.
  • maxbird
    maxbird Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    I have an SD195, which is an older model of your boat.  It has a dry weight of about 2300 lbs, which is about 300 lbs less than your 187 hull.  Both hulls can be powered with up to a 200 hp outboard.  Mine has a Suzuki DF175 which has plenty of power and tops out at about 50.  It's performance is really snappy with 4 on board and pulling a wakeboard or tube, but with a load of 8, it starts to feel sluggish getting on plane. With a heavy load of people and pulling watertoys, I'd max out and go for the new Yamaha or Suzuki 200 hp 4 cylinder.   You can never have too much hp.  
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup go for the biggest you can, and hydraulic steering is a must with any HP IMO, it's well worth it!
  • ss188rider
    ss188rider Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Options
    Go for the 150.   Only took me 1 season and upgraded to 150.  Enjoying my ss188 a lot more.
  • skidtrash
    skidtrash Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    I have a 187 with a 115 and if I had the money I would had definitely gone with the 150. The 115 is good with 2-3 people but anything more than that she just never planes.
  • JOSHDOLPHINS1
    JOSHDOLPHINS1 Member Posts: 15
    Options
  • guitarsunited
    guitarsunited Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a 226FF with a 115 Yamaha 2 stroke, it's super reliable and cruises at 25 mph @ 4200 rpm, maxes out at 37 mph @ 5500 rpm. That's with 4 to 8 people and stuff on board. Just to give you a idea on some performance and speed. We recommend the Yamaha 150 4 stroke for sure. But the 115 is very taming and keeps us from going bazerks on the water.
  • skidtrash
    skidtrash Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    go 150 if you have the cash... youll regret it if you dont.... although the gas (milage) of the 115 is amazing i must say