Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Fuel Vent 2014 SD2400IO

Options
delhaven
delhaven Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
My boat is on a lift. I have to get fuel from a marina. It takes forever to fill the tank as fuel backs up and shuts off the hose nozzle. Just aft of the fuel inlet is a covered vent. If I remove the cover I can smell fuel. Does anyone out there have this design? If so, do you remove the vent cover when taking on fuel? 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some boat models have a set up like yours with a external fuel vent, others have the vent mounted internally and integrated into the fuel fill line.  Mine has the latter and it's usually this design that causes the slow fill condition.  I just put the nozzle on it's slowest position and listen to hear when it's backing up to the point of spurting out, then backing it off until it bubbles down.  I now use a fuel collar that prevents back splash spills.   
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    What sort of collar/where to find one/how to make one? I'm always spilling some down the side, as the pumps' auto-shutoff doesn't work when filling the boat and I can't really hear a unique sound until about a second before it spills out.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• cjjjdeck
    Options
    Here's what I've been using.  You just slip it on the nozzle.  It works very well.  They even absorb fuel sitting on top of the water if you dip them in.  I just store it in a heavy zip lock bag.  I usually have a couple of them on board.

Centek makes them:

http://www.centekindustries.com/fuel-kleen-collars.html

Here's where I buy them:

http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Kleen-Collar-Centek/dm/cart_id.266280751--session_id.292585542--view_id.1185549

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    Cool, thanks much. Had not seen that before.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• delhaven
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I still wonder if I have to remove the vent cover to fuel the boat. Maybe someone from Hurricane can answer that. I ordered a couple of fuel collars to see how they work.
  • cjjjdeck
    Options
    What you are removing is a cover that is to prevent debris from going in to the vent system.  The vent system still breathes with or without the cover in place.  You don't need to remove it when you fill the fuel tank.

The next time you have the boat serviced, have them make sure there isn't a blockage in the vent system, just to be sure.

• UncleB
    UncleB Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options
    Sorry if I'm reviving a dead thread, but did you ever find the answer to this?  I am having the same issue with my Hurricane.
  • delhaven
    Options
    I haven't been to the fuel dock since I posted this. I tried to follow the vent line but it's impossible because the only access hole is in the sole and not much is visible. I thought maybe the vent line might sag lower that the tank inlet which could cause fuel to block the air trying to vent to the hull fitting. I blew air through the tank fill and it came out of the hull side vent. So then I poured gas into the fill fitting from a 5 gallon can. It poured it with no problem. Next time I fill up at the fuel dock, I'll post if it's still slow on not. I've had venting problems on other boats and have had to revise the lines. Not an easy task!
  • delhaven
    Options
    Noted my response today posted but not highlighted. Hope this works.
  • tk70099
    tk70099 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I too have fueling issues, Slow to fill, must place pump handle on lowest setting,
    takes awhile. I have talked to fueling techs and they tell me this is common with Hurricane boats.