Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

228 side rail alumium skin replacement or repainting

Options
I have a 2004 with one ripped skin and all has oxidized with it being in salt water and black streaks. Rubbing compound takes it almost to bare metal. How hard is it to remove and replace with new metal or is it easier to repaint around decals. 

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would you be able to post some pictures of the area?
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• baybreeze
    baybreeze Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for reply my boat is in storage I.m to get it out early spring and if I have not found someone to paint or replace panels. Which I see online but with all the seating it will take dismanteling pretty much the whole deck. Has anyone replaced skins with rails in place would seem harder than coil laying down. Please advise thanks
  • jdischy
    jdischy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    baybreeze said:
    I have a 2004 with one ripped skin and all has oxidized with it being in salt water and black streaks. Rubbing compound takes it almost to bare metal. How hard is it to remove and replace with new metal or is it easier to repaint around decals. 
    I would also like to know this.  Anyone?
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just discussed this with my dealer and if your boat is older than 2008, replacement panels probably won't be available form the factory.  That leaves you with dealing with the existing panels.  The best way to paint the panels is to remove them and have them painted at an auto body shop so the paint can be baked on.  This process gives you many more years of life to the appearance of the panels.  Just spraying the panels, either on or off the boat, will yield a much shorter panel life (especially in salt water conditions).
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer