Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Lack of STEERING CONTROL

Options
captbobg
captbobg Member Posts: 5

Hi.

I own a 2014 Fun-Deck 236, with a 150 Yamaha. Early 2014 I communicated with Ms Terri Gipson regarding a severe problem with SLOW SPEED MANEUVERS with my boat.

The problem is although I hold a USCG 100 Ton Master Rating, and have been on the water some 60 years, this boat DOES NOT RESPOND WELL  in close quarter maneuvers IE: DOCKING.

I have made 3 Prop changes, checked & re-checked the engine alignment & mounting. Verified lack of damage to the Hull, & still I am NOT able to perform simple maneuvers with this boat.

Yesterday I met a fellow Captain who owns a 2012, 21' Fun-Deck with only 10 hours on it.

We discussed our similar boats & discovered that we have the same complaint. Capt. Glenn stated that  he will not use his boat any longer therefore the Low usage.

I feel vindicated as my position has been confirmed, and Both of us DEMAND some attention to our mutual problem.

Robert J Gilligan

908 256 2993

b4194@embarqmail.com

Hull # GDY18414I314

Comments

• 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options
    My 2015 203 O/B with 200 optimax handled poor at the start too, I tried it with a 4 blade and 5 blade and both cases it didn't respond well docking, especially in reverse, could hammer it reverse and it would just keep moving forward, I agree it was the hardest boat I ever drove trying to dock, even worse than a 30ft checkmate with twins, I have a 3 blade Enertia on it now and it handles very good, moves anywhere I want it too.
  • pmracing
    pmracing Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Options
    Same here docking is a nightmare 06 GS 202 oh and don't try backing to realign for the trailer..,..,,
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My 2015 203 O/B with 200 optimax handled poor at the start too, I tried it with a 4 blade and 5 blade and both cases it didn't respond well docking, especially in reverse, could hammer it reverse and it would just keep moving forward, I agree it was the hardest boat I ever drove trying to dock, even worse than a 30ft checkmate with twins, I have a 3 blade Enertia on it now and it handles very good, moves anywhere I want it too.
    I have a similar experience with my SS188 with 200 Optimax with a 5 blade.  I find it quite easy to maneuver forward, but in reverse is treacherous at best.  You have to feather it slowly.  I'd love to go to a 3 blade but love the performance of the 5 in water sports so I've learned over 5 years to work with it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • Jeronimo21
    Jeronimo21 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Options
    Old thread I know but checkmate if your still around, hows that Enertia treating you?
    1999 Hurricane Fundeck 226  (Sold)
    2008 Hurricane Fundeck GS202 (Sold)
    2023 Sundeck 2400 OB  (Current)