Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Does Hurricane have an official position on the need for bottom paint in fresh water?

Options
pbolden
pbolden Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
Hello Everyone,

Here's my situation.  I have a 2004 sd217 o/b.  This year it will be seasonally docked on the Great Lakes from May to October.  There seems to be a split of opinion about 70/30 for/against bottom painting for docked fresh water vessels.  Does Hurricane have a position on this for their boats?

Thanks,
Paul Bolden
United States Coast Guard Aux, VFC, FSO-VE

Comments

• Bottom paint is an aftermarket option.  A local Dealer may be able to assist you further on this issue based upon your boating location and conditions.  I would suggest this option if the boat is left in the water.

• wekz1
    wekz1 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Paul. I am by no means an expert, but I would follow the administrator's advise in checking with a pro in your area.  We bought our 2005 226Re last year from a Boat Dealer in Up State PA.  The boat was only used in fresh water by an owner that took great care of her. To my knowedge, the boat was not kept in a slip and the hull was perfect. I did note that many of the boats in storage at the dealer, did in fact have painted hulls.  We now keep our boat in a seasonal slip at the Jersey shore so, bottom painting was mandatory.  I can tell you that when applied correctly, bottom paints works! When we pulled her out last fall, there was absolutely nothing attached to the bottom.   Good luck and happy boating.

Bill