Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

gelcoat color

caseynettles
caseynettles Member Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hello, I have a 2002 sundeck 217 and I put the first ding in it yesterday...ugh.  While landing the boat on the trailer in a strong outgoing tide and a strong cross wind in the same direction I pushed up against the PVC guide rails and one of them snapped exposing the metal support beam inside which the corner of which hit the hull taking a finger nail sized chip out of the gel coat.  Guess the PVC was old and brittle.  Anyway, the hull is offwhite and I was wondering if Hurricane sells a matching gel coat repair kit for this color or if there is a color code that I can match (or even just what they call the color).  The chip is really minor but I hate the fact that I did this considering the hull was perfect until now and I have always been super careful while landing to boat on the trailer.  I see a lot of "generic" repair kits where you have to mix the colors to match but I was hoping for an exact match from the manufacturer.

Thanks.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    If your hull color is white(ish), the name of the color is "Grey Pearl" and the Spectrum Part# is 7417.  You may need to go to a dealer to get it as I don't believe Spectrum Color sells direct.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Oooo, hadn't thought about them cracking/shattering, but a few years of sunshine will certainly do that to regular PVC pipe. I think I'll replace mine. Please post info when you find a source, as I have the same, thanks.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• HydroCanis
    Source for the Grey Pearl, that is.
    David
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6

• caseynettles
    Thanks for the info, and yes is is white"ish" I will try and track them down and post my results.  Before and after pics...wish me luck. Yes the poles were very thin PVC "like"... more like schedule 10 or 20, very thin and I never even thought about it until it happened, went to Lowes this morning and replaced both with schedule 40 2" WAY THICKER!!! and much strong I would suspect...hope that never happens again as I was quite embarrassed at the ramp haha.
  • caseynettles
     A quick web search using "Spectrum" as one of the key words resulted in me finding this....  http://www.iboats.com/Hurricane-2000-2010-French-Vanilla-CCP-LVOC-Color-Boat-Gel-Coat-Patch-Paste-Repair-Kit-Spectrum-Color/dm/view_id.830208     it's not "grey pearl" but the Spectrum website and Iboats both state that this is the color for 2000-2010.  Now I am going back the Spectrum site and try and find the part # that CJJJdeck listed and get the info on it and see if it cross references.  Thanks
  • cjjjdeck
    My chart shows that Grey Pearl was used on boat years from 1999 to 2003.  Spectrum lists this paint by name on their website in gallon and quart offerings, unfortunately they don't offer their "Patch Paste Repair Kit" in this color:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Items.aspx?key=search&code=__ALLCATS__&searchval=7417&incl_m=F

When you click on the one quart size listing you go to this screen:

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=F507417Q&type=4&eq=&desc=F507417Q&key=it

You'll notice the "7417" in the middle of their part number "F507417Q".  You'll also notice the number "99-03" after the paint color name, that indicates the model years this color was used through.  Also, if you click on the "SELECT" button, it brings you right to the correct www.iboats.com page to order the product.

I called Spectrum Color and spoke with Sabrina (very nice and knowledgeable person!).  You need more that just the can of gelcoat paint in order to use it on the boat surface like hardener and waxing/surfacing agents (I've never worked with gelcoat before, so this was all new to me).

But here is what Spectrum did do for colors they don't sell in the more convenient "Patch Paste Repair Kit" (the reason is because it has not been a popular enough selling color to offer it in the "kit").  They partnered with iboats.com and kitted a quart of the gelcoat color with all the other materials and compounds necessary for using the product properly.  Yeah, it's a bit pricey ($100.00), but it's a solution and you have it for future use.

Here's a link to the final product offering on iboats:

http://www.iboats.com/Hurricane-1999-2003-Off-White-Grey-Pearl-Color-Boat-Gel-Coat-Quart-Spectrum-Color/dm/view_id.834417

• HydroCanis
    Great info, thanks.
    David

• caseynettles
    Awesome thanks!!!!
  • caseynettles
    I have to say that the grey pearl does look closer to the color of my hull on my computer screen than the French vanilla does.  Going to order it and will follow up with the results.  One good thing is that the damage is on the underside of the bow out of sunlight so hopefully fading will be minimum.
  • callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Looking forward to your post on grey pearl vs. French vanilla. I am going to the local Hurricane dealer in the next couple days to see what color they think it is. They keep on hand containers of gelcoat for different brands of boats they sale. I have purchased from then before, and I'll try to find out whether they have the right color on hand, and how much they might charge for a small quantity. I'll post what I find out. I do know that the current "white" is different than I the color on my 2002 SD237.
  • caseynettles
    I just realized that the grey pearl is "regular" gel coat not the "paste" type, duh...that being said considering where my ding is it might be difficult to work with,  I might have to see if it thickens up as it kicks off, anyway I ordered both and the French vanilla will be here today and is the paste.  I will experiment with both once the other arrives possibly tomorrow and see what happens.
  • cjjjdeck
    If you ordered the Grey Pearl from iboats and ordered it from the page I have a link of below, then the gelcoat color also comes with the other compounds to make it into a paste form:

http://www.iboats.com/Hurricane-1999-2003-Off-White-Grey-Pearl-Color-Boat-Gel-Coat-Quart-Spectrum-Color/dm/view_id.834417

• caseynettles

Sweet!!! I didn't even notice that!

• callforbids
    callforbids Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    I think the only sure way to know the gel coat color used by Hurricane on your boat is to have your dealer contact Hurricane, provide them your hull number and Hurricane will have a record of the gel coat used when manufacturing your boat. My 2002 SD237 is grey pearl and wineberry.
  • hurrig8r
    hurrig8r Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Mix the gelcoat and hardener carefully. Add drops of hardener (catalyst) slowly. If you put too much, the mixture gets extremely hot (and will melt plastic) and the mixture will be too thick to work with. I recommend using an aluminum can or the like to work out of and a little bit goes a long way. If you want to spray it on, you can use a Preval sprayer, which is about $5. If you do so, again be careful to not to add too much catalyst as it'll shatter the glass chamber on the sprayer as the heat builds up.

Good luck. It's not too hard to work with. If you keep the can closed tightly, it should last up to a year if stored properly.