Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Help with AC Outlet and Shore Power on 2690

floridatony
floridatony Member Posts: 1
Hi all,

I am new to the forums and new to hurricane boats. I purchased a 2690 Sundeck about 6 months ago, and it's been the best boat I've had.

2 things: I cannot seem to be able to get power to the AC outlet. Is there a switch somewhere that I am not aware of?  

And number 2 - There is a shore power switch panel behind the drivers seat. I'm not really sure on how to use it. At this point when I dock at home, I turn the batteries off and plug in the shore power line. Is there a way to safely keep the refrigerator on while plugged in to shore power? Is there anywhere I can read up on these things?

Thank you so much guys, I look forward to getting active on the forums.

Comments

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    First off, welcome to the Hurricane Boat Owners Forum and congratulations on owning a gorgeous boat!

Second, please post some pictures on the "Love your Hurricane?  Then show it off...." thread as this is a new model many of us haven't seen yet in person.

Now for your issue.  I can't believe the dealer didn't take the time to go over systems like this with you as he absolutely should have. 

Are you saying that when the boat is connected to shore power, the AC outlet is not live?  Does the fridge run when connected to shore power?  I have not seen what the electrical panel looks like on this model, maybe you could post a picture of it so we know what you're looking at as no other model has this feature.  Also, I would imagine the AC outlet is a GFCI.  Make sure the internal breaker isn't tripped and needs to be reset.  I would think the fridge should be OK running full time on the AC power if it's set up to run that way (which I imagine it would).
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with @cjjjdeck in not knowing this model.  However, I'm going to guess that your questions are highly related.   Here's why.

Much like any toy (RVs, boats, etc) they're designed to support 2 if not 3 types of power sources.  That being 12V, 110V, and in some case fuel (propane based fridges in a RV for example)

What they all have in common are power inverters.  Essentially, the supply is going to be provided to the inverter (either 12V battery or shore power)  From here the inverter will step the power up or down (example, if you shut off the batteries all powered items on the boat like lights and stereo will draw 12V)

What I don't know is what your fridge draws.  My guess is it gets stepped up to 110V to power it regardless of the source.  The same way your outlet (110V) should be supplied.

So, all that to say, if the outlet doesn't work AND your fridge won't run on shore power, the common point is your power inverter.  But it sounds like your fridge works with batteries, so I suspect when you're on shore power, you may have to manually switch or invert to allow it to run.  I'd be surprised that it didn't do it automatically as every RV, boat etc I've been around with power inversion does it automatically.

Hope this isn't confusing but wanted to give your some inputs that may help isolate the AC outlet issue, and perhaps give you more clarity on how the fridge MAY work.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • dyze
    dyze Member Posts: 12
    This is an old post but am answering with information from Hurricane Dealer who was in contact with Hurricane.  The AC Power Outlet only works when the boat is docked and operating off shore power. 

Presumably, although I did not confirm, the refrigerator can run while on shore power and not drain the batteries. I have used shore power at dock to get the refrigerator cold before going out for the day and it seems to also be charging the batteries (or at least keeping them from draining).