Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Bilge Pump

Options
Suzook
Suzook Member Posts: 42

My bilge pump (model 42512 Mayfair Marine/Johnson 1000gph) gave up the ghost today, float switch long passed prior to my recent loss ... sigh!  So, what's the verdict on replacement of the pump/float, stick with Johnson or go with something else?  Anybody have pics of their work?

2005 GS 202 '06 Yamaha 150

2005 Tennessee Tandem Trailer

Comments

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've had many Johnson pumps.  All worked well.  My old boat is still going strong with 13 year old one, and I have them in my current one heading into its 5th season.   Never had any issues with them.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My boat also has the Johnson brand pump.  My model is a cartridge type where you can easily cleanout the impeller area or even replace/upgrade the motor of the pump.  I thought that was pretty cool technology.

Here's a link from iboats who sell them, others do as well:

http://www.iboats.com/Cartridge-Bilge-Pump-Johnson-Pump/dm/cart_id.038315140--session_id.867410804--view_id.1023682

Also am posting a picture of mine and an info sheet from Johnson:

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 42
    Options

I agree with you about the cartridge assy technology, simple smart solution IMHO.  In the mean time I've removed the complete assy and found fishing line wrapped around the pump shaft.  While I was at it I decided to see about the float switch and found it crusted shut.  The boat only has 86hrs so I decided to press my luck and try to unstick the float assy.  Scary stuff I'm 2 for 2, re-installed all, ops ck good.  So, I've ordered a new cartridge as there's no way this will last LOL. On the fence about the float switch as my boat is trailered and the new one is 2 wire vs old one at 3 wire.

2005 GS 202 '06 Yamaha 150

2005 Tennessee Tandem Trailer