Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Carpet snaps

Broadway
Broadway Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
2013 Fundeck.  Though I put Vaseline on the snaps before snaping my carpet in, and do not take make carpet out but a few times a year, the snaps are starting to break.  I have about 4 so far.  Can someone recommend a good place to buy new carpet snaps and a cheap (in price not quality) tool? 

Thanks,

Chris

2013 FD 226

Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

Venture Trailer

2nd RGR BN.

Best Answer

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015 Answer ✓
    Here what you're up against with doing snap buttons yourself:

1) Cheapest is using an anvil & punch tool.  Effective, but you might go through a few buttons until you get it right.  Also, it's been my experience that there never seems to a good place to hammer things on a boat.  They run in the $10 - $20 price range.

This is a SeaSense 101pc. Canvas Fastener Kit (on Amazon)

2) Many marine supply stores offer a nice kit of snaps and a tool which at first looks like a good deal/idea.  Problem comes with using the tool.  The tool is cheaply made and the biggest complaint is the handle bends after a few uses rendering it useless.  They run in the $20 - $40 range.

This is an Overton's brand 73 piece kit #81226 (Also goes under the "SeaSense" and "Shoreline" brand names and I'm sure others)

3) The better quality snap button kits use a better tool based on a vise grip.  Most people who have bought this kit are perfectly happy with the quality and function, barely a complaint and certainly the tool will never fail.  They run in the $50 - $75 range

This is the Handi-Man kit #970164

4) Go to a local marine upholsterer and more often than not they will install it for free to hopefully earn your business on a bigger project.  tI wouldn't hurt to get to know one anyway and you can ask them to see some of their work, they usually love doing that!

The kits are available through iboats, Overtons, West Marine, Defender, Amazon and I'm sure others.  Make sure you are using either chrome over brass or stainless steel buttons (most marine upholsterers use chrome over brass and usually work perfectly fine).

So there ya go, everything you did and didn't want to know about snap buttons!

Post edited by cjjjdeck on
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

Answers

• HydroCanis
    HydroCanis Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    For the carpet part of the snap, the only thing I would worry about would be the carpet's thickness. If ordinary clothing snaps will set properly through the carpet, I'd just use them and a cheap snap setter from a hobby/sewing store. I used them on my mooring cover and so far they're doing fine (nickel-plated brass snaps). There's nothing special about setting them that a cheap tool won't do if carefully used. As far as the bottom part, my boat's previous owner used SS screws to replace a few. I used an aluminum rivet on one. My repair is probably less likely to come loose, but I like the screws better as they don't discolor and shed oxidized aluminum.
    David
    2003 Sundeck 217 OB, Yamaha 150 2 Stroke
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own." - Number 6