Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Where is the bilge pump on Fundeck GS-201

DavidPJ
DavidPJ Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
The automatic on/off for the bilge pump on my '99 Fundeck GS-201 no longer works, although the pump runs fine when turned on manually with the switch. A couple years ago I had it serviced for the same reason and the tech said he repaired/adjusted the float and a new pump wasn't needed. It worked for about 1 year.

I would prefer to replace the pump with float assembly this time but I don't know where it's located. Can you tell how I can get to it and if you have any suggestions for replacing the pump or cleaning/repairing the float again? Any recommendations for a reliable replacement? Thanks.
1999 Fundeck GS-201, Teal, Honda 200HP

Comments

• DavidPJ
    I found the bilge pimp and because of its location I won't be replacing it myself. However, I'm still wondering if I should have it replaced at some point. Is it common for the float to quickly fail?
  • nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    May not be your float switch, but a faulty connection to the external float switch if that's what he did previously.  Moisture/water on the connections could corrode this and make it the problem

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • DavidPJ
    Thanks nquirk. What do you mean by external float switch? I thought the only float was the one attached to the pump.
  • nquirk
    Some pumps have external float switches.  I reread what you posted and he repaired the existing float not replace it with an external.  So, it can easily get clogged up (mine does from time to time) preventing it from working.  

There is also a constant power switch (usually with an inline fuse attached between the pump and the positive of the battery)  Check that the fuse is ok and no corrosion or breakage.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • DavidPJ
    Thanks again nquirk. I didn't think about checking for an inline fuse for the hardwired bilge connection. Since the pump had problems in the past I immediately jumped to the conclusion the float again is having a problem. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a blown fuse or bad connection.
  • nquirk
    @DavidPJ I've have had this happen to me twice.  And in fact, the fuse was fine but the fuse holder had corrosion preventing a proper connection.  Let us know what you find.

2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
  • rdcastle
    rdcastle Member Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    DavidPJ, I have a 2001 GS201 O/B and I spent a really long hard time removing my fried bilge pump from the factory mounting block. Nothing could be harder to access than those factory pumps!! I decided to make an aluminum bracket fr my new pump and external switch that could be easily accessed from one of the 2 6 inch inspection ports in the motor well. The new pump/bracket is attached with stainless screws to the inside of the transom and requires just one hand to remove for service/replacement.
    Rob Castle
    2001 Hurricane GS201 FD
    Yamaha 150 V6 2 Stroke, Oil Injection
  • DavidPJ
    DavidPJ said:
    Thanks again nquirk. I didn't think about checking for an inline fuse for the hardwired bilge connection. Since the pump had problems in the past I immediately jumped to the conclusion the float again is having a problem. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a blown fuse or bad connection.
    Following up, I checked the inline fuse and sure enough it was blown. The blown fuse was a 4 amp fuse and I have no idea if that's the correct size fuse for this small pump. Any idea of what size fuse might be appropriate?

For now I replaced it with a 4A slow-blow fuse. I haven't tested the auto on/off of the pump since replacing the fuse so I don't know if that solved the problem. Thanks nquirk for reminding me about the fuse!
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at Johnson brand cartridge type bilge pumps (which was installed on my boat), the 500 GPH through 1250 GPH models draw from 2.5 to 3.2 amps and the fuse is a 5 amp on all of them.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• DavidPJ
    cjjjdeck said:
    Looking at Johnson brand cartridge type bilge pumps (which was installed on my boat), the 500 GPH through 1250 GPH models draw from 2.5 to 3.2 amps and the fuse is a 5 amp on all of them.
    OK, thanks. I'll change my fuse to 5 amps and see what happens.
  • DavidPJ
    Following up on this thread, I replaced the 4A fuse with a 5A fuse and hoped for the best. So a few days ago the boat was uncovered and it rained hard for 3-4 hours. The next day I ran the bilge pump manually and not a drop came out (I heard the pump running). So success, my bilge pump and float are working again!

One of these days I'm going to replace the cheap basic fuse holder with an inline waterproof fuse holder.

Thanks again for your help.