Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

How do I get my phone charger to work with the 12 volt plug?

Options
I have a 2014 Sundeck Sport 188 OB. I tried to plug my car charger (for my phone) into the 12 volt jack on the dash, but it is loose and makes no electrical connection. It is not just a little loose, but a lot. The charger  works perfectly in all the cars I have used it in. Is there something different about the 12 volt jack on the boat. Is their a marine specific charger I should be looking for. Thanks for any help.

Doug

2014 Hurricane SS 188 OB Sundeck Sport
Yamaha 115 Four Stroke Outboard
Road King Trailer

Best Answer

Answers

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a standard 12V outlet.  Since you say the charger work everywhere else, you can test it with a voltmeter to see if its functional.  Positive probe on the center contact, the ground on the side of the socket.  Should give a 12V reading.  If not, it has an electrical issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 12v receptacle on the dash should be a standard cigarette lighter design, just like in your car.  Mine is on my boat.  However, it shouldn't be loose.  If you can't get behind the dash from the inside of the helm, then remove the screws of the panel the outlet is located on and carefully lift the panel, avoiding disconnecting wires if you can.  Hopefully you will have enough room to get behind the panel and tighten the base and check the connections to it.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Dchap50
    Dchap50 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I appreciate you both for taking the time to respond to my question. To clarify the situation, the socket itself is not loose in the dash. The diameter of the socket hole is larger than that of the charger plug. When I plug in the charger it does not click and fit snugly (like it does in my vehicles  and other things with cigarette lighter jacks). The contacts do not even... well, make contact inside the 12v socket. Even if it is producing the 12v, their is no contact for current flow. It's strange... as if the socket is something other than the standard cigarette lighter size. I guess I will order another socket for the dash. Should be easy to install. Thanks for your help.

Doug

2014 Hurricane SS 188 OB Sundeck Sport
    Yamaha 115 Four Stroke Outboard
    Road King Trailer

• nquirk
    nquirk Member, Moderator Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, it should be a standard outlet.  The one in my 2010 SS 188 is a standard 12v socket.    Interesting that yours is oversized
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
    2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
    2010 Trailmaster SC trailer
  • 89checkmate
    89checkmate Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah the one in my 2015 203 is standard size, phone charger works fine in it.