Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

FunDeck 201 I/O Steering issues at low speed

FWG
FWG Member Posts: 1
I have a Hurricane 201 Fundeck, Engine 5.0 MPI (litre) 260 hp 2005 MercCruiser.  Standard 3 blade stainless steel OEM prop.

At low RPM (under 1800 or so) the boat wanders left and right constantly and requires steering corrections.  This has become so annoying I am considering selling the boat.

Is there another kind of prop or lower unit modification that will allow the boat to go straight at 'cocktail cruise' speeds?

Answers

• miknif
    miknif Member Posts: 5
    I have the same challenge with my 2007 Hurricane 202, hopefully someone will respond with recommendations on how best to handle this at lower speed.  It gets really crazy when trying to pull into a slip as well.   
  • cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    There are a few threads on the forum that talk about this issue.  Most of the time there is an improvement by changing over to prop with more blades or adding trim tabs.

I will say that I don't seem to have this issue with my boat.  Maybe the dual prop drive helps this situation.

Here's a link to one thread.  There are other if you search for them:

http://hurricaneboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/363#Comment_363

2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• captbobg
    captbobg Member Posts: 5

Hi.

Not sure of when you posted this compliant, since I basically have been operating that I was the ONLY Dope who owns this UNSTEERABLE Boat. After numerous phone conversations, and a test drive by a Factory Rep, ( who drove the boat into my Sea-Wall ).  have had the 2014 236 for sale for one year with NO Takers.

Factory credibility is Non-Existant.

Hopefully more of us will show up & with numerous compatable complaints, something may happen ( I really do believe in Fairies )

Capt RJ Gilligan

b4194@embarqmail.com

• 1wakeup
    1wakeup Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought one after a very short test drive (winter) at Smith Mountain Lake in Va. Yes, it wanders awful.  I hate it, but now it's mine, stuck with it.  Hopefully this forum will lead to a correction.
  • 33b
    33b Member Posts: 12
    My 2011/188 does this also but not as bad as my 2007 21.6 Laguna C.C. at slow speed. I haven't found an answer.
  • BoomerHauser
    BoomerHauser Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Fundeck 201 with I/O V6 engine and I thought I was the only one with the wandering issue. It is very annoying and makes it more challenging to dock and load on trailer.
    My boat also refuses to go to starboard in reverse. No matter what, it will track to port in reverse.

• jsproat
    jsproat Member Posts: 4
    I had a wandering boat it is 1988 sd thought it was because the lower fin on the lower unit was bent, so I straightened her out which helped. The final fix ended up being tightening steering linkage