Thank you so much for your involvement with the Owner's Club Forum! We hope you've gotten some great information and had the chance to interact with other owners on the current system.

Overcharging Batteries

Had to take boat off the water early today due my volt meter initially indicating 16 volts then crept up to 18 volts.  Without eng running the digital multi-meter on the batts read 12.8 each individually.  Started the engine on each batt individually and each batt read 13.7 with eng running.  However, each eng run test the volt meter again indicates 18 volts and the tachometer is functioning following throttle input.  Is there a better way to check the rectifier/regulator or isolation check for the volt meter?

2005 GS 202 '06 Yamaha 150

2005 Tennessee Tandem Trailer

Comments

• Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 42
    Follow-up, checked/cleaned grounds as needed up to the Faria combo fuel/volt gauge, ran the motor, volt meter 18 volts.  Removed gauge disconnected volt lead from gauge, connected multi-meter to volt lead wire and grounded to the gauge, started engine multi-meter read 13.7, put load on it 13.7-14 VDC ... yeah!  Have come to the conclusion that I don't like comb gauges.  Now I have to buy this gauge for the volt meter knowing my fuel level probe is bad, but a lot better than buying a rectifier/regulator.

• cjjjdeck
    cjjjdeck Member, Moderator Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for keeping us informed on your progress through this.  Responses to electrical issues can sometimes be a bit spotty on the forum, so your efforts are a welcome addition to educate all of us.
    2012 SD237 I/O Mercruiser 5.0L MPI ECT/ Bravo 3
    2012 Load Rite Elite Tandem axle trailer

• Suzook
    Suzook Member Posts: 42
    Replaced the Faria combo gauge, volt meter ops checked good.  Still working the fuel side will do a write up when compete.